Help a newbie please

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the overall toxicity of nitrite, I think we can all agree that we want to get Threshers Reef to a point that it is being effectively concerted to nitrate.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the overall toxicity of nitrite, I think we can all agree that we want to get Threshers Reef to a point that it is being effectively concerted to nitrate.
He HAS nitrate!
Idiot Facepalm GIF

OP
OP
T

Thresher's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, I didn't mean to start a disagreement I just want my tank to be successful. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal is right though, I do have nitrates it's just I keep having ammonia and nitrite and need to get that under control

DrDirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No argument at all that nitrate is being generated, but there are kinetics involved in each of the reactions involved in converting ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. In general we want these kinetics to be fast enough that we do not see an accumulation of either ammonia or nitrite in the water. In a typical aquarium these kinetics are heavily influenced by the total surface area available for the bacteria that perform these reactions to "live".

My point is your accumulation of nitrite and/or ammonia is obviously not what you want in the end, regardless of the debate on the toxicity of nitrite in water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No argument at all that nitrate is being generated, but there are kinetics involved in each of the reactions involved in converting ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. In general we want these kinetics to be fast enough that we do not see an accumulation of either ammonia or nitrite in the water. In a typical aquarium these kinetics are heavily influenced by the total surface area available for the bacteria that perform these reactions to "live".

My point is your accumulation of nitrite and/or ammonia is obviously not what you want in the end, regardless of the debate on the toxicity of nitrite in water.
Nice backpedal, lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back