What a Disaster... Family Watched My Tank for 1 Week

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to see your tank like that. I'm sure with a bit of expert care it'll bounce back

I've been fortunate enough to have tank sitters that can follow instructions for the most part. I do try my very best to make it simple and foolproof for the sitters just in case. While it's crazy to think of what some people do to a tank, it is easy to forget that most people have zero knowledge about keeping a reef tank. Lucky if they ever had a freshwater tank.

Back in the day I had a second job as a petsitter. I'd go to people's houses for 30 mins to an hour and take care of their pets while they were at work, on vacation...etc. It was pretty terrifying when something was going wrong and you didn't know what to do with someone else's pets. I think instinct kicks in and you do whatever YOU think is best to make sure the animal is taken care of when the owner can't be reached. Unfortunately, when it comes to aquariums some people have very bad instincts. I actually used the same pet sitting company I worked for's services to watch my reef tank for a week while I was on vacation. I left very strict instructions for the sitter to add this this and this to the tank and do nothing else. If something looked wrong- call me. If I don't pick up, just leave me a message and do nothing to the tank. Never heard anything, but when I came back the water level was like 6" low and glass dirtier than I'd ever seen. Otherwise, the inhabitants were doing great somehow. Ended up having my ATO fail while away and left no instructions to top off the tank. All in all, I'm happy with the reactions, or lack of, I got from the sitter. Now that my tank is much much larger and full of alot more coral, I have 1 family member who keeps fish who I'd trust while on vacation to check on things. Otherwise, I'd just have someone feed the fish and do nothing else. If gone for more than a week, I'm going to consider having a local aquarium service come and check on the tank mid-vacation. I actually just got an apex to help ease my mind a bit for my vacation I have planned for late this year.

Not fish related, but related to the pet sitting I used to do. My now wife (girlfriend at the time) was also pet sitting at the same time and once was taking care of someone's pair of dogs. They were playing fetch in the backyard and out of nowhere one of the dogs literally bites the other dog's ear clean off. Luckly she was able to get ahold of the owner and took the dog to the vet. Owner was oddly understanding about the situation. Just crazy what seems to always happen when we (the pet owners) are away. Like every time I go on vacation, I have one of my brothers house sit for me and take care of my dog. My dog is super easy to take care of...except when I go on the very rare vacation. Every time I leave, my dog gets diahrea, forgets how to bark to go outside, rips up the couch, paces the house, and just generaly drives my brother crazy for the week.

In short, I guess if you want someone to take care of your reef while you're away, you need to find or hire someone who knows how to take care of a reef.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It has happened to me in the past and I now take a much different approach when I am out of town.

I provide written instructions with digital and hard copies. if needed videos of what to do or look for is provided. The instructions always have a feeding plan, emergency plan incase of spill or power outage, and emergency contacts. All food not on automatic feeders is proportioned so they cannot overfeed. Normally I have someone that I trust visit every few days to check on things despite having someone at the house watching the tank. I always make it a requirement that anyone watching my aquariums must show me how to do things on the written plan so I know they understand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I learned early on was there is nothing quite as 'dangerous' as a well-meaning but ignorant family member. Far better to just let the fish fast for a week ..... they'll be just ifne.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KyRo

I wish I could have talked to you prior to your trip.

My best advice is to invest in this inexpensive camera for $20:

It connects to your house's WiFi and provide a 24/7 video and audio stream to your phone WORLD-WIDE

Best feature: TWO-WAY audio

When your mom or whoever was there you could have talked to them THRU this camera.... all the while seeing what they are doing, COACHING them the exact steps

I have several of these cams giving me 24/7 eyes on my DT, sump, various sections of my overall system.

Best part is if I get an Apex alert, I can put my eyes on the camera. If someone is home, I can call them. If I ask them to do something involving their two-hands, I can talk and coach them thru this camera's two-way audio

Something to think about for the future

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all of these horror stories, I have decided to break up with my gf. I would rather let her go lovingly than lose her and my corals at the same time. I sure am going to miss her.
I really hope you are joking....... if so than that was a pretty great joke ;Woot

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope you are joking....... if so than that was a pretty great joke ;Woot
I called her at work and told her to bring me some Chick-fil-A for lunch. After I ate (love their shakes!), I told her my reef was too important and that I had made a decision. She disagreed. Now I'm stuck watching a rom-com tonight. Thanks for the bad advice r2r!

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awful to see that... hope everything is bouncing back alright. I recently went out of town for a week, and originally tried an auto feeder, but found its intervals fed WAY too much at once (I only have 2 fish); so I asked my father in law to feed 10 pellets 1-2x a day. Way less than usual, but I knew the effects of overfeeding were way worse than under feeding. The tank was relatively happy when I came back, save for the SG being 1.028 and hair algae galore!

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KyRo

I wish I could have talked to you prior to your trip.

My best advice is to invest in this inexpensive camera for $20:

It connects to your house's WiFi and provide a 24/7 video and audio stream to your phone WORLD-WIDE

Best feature: TWO-WAY audio

When your mom or whoever was there you could have talked to them THRU this camera.... all the while seeing what they are doing, COACHING them the exact steps

I have several of these cams giving me 24/7 eyes on my DT, sump, various sections of my overall system.

Best part is if I get an Apex alert, I can put my eyes on the camera. If someone is home, I can call them. If I ask them to do something involving their two-hands, I can talk and coach them thru this camera's two-way audio

Something to think about for the future

What's funny is I have a Wyze cam and love it lol. I figured my mom would call me and facetime me if she had questions. She has done it in the past, but she told me she didn't want to bother me on vacation. Oh well.

Good news though, the zoas are starting to pop open a bit. Some colonies are fully open now. I'm just more concerned about my hammers as of now. Some lost quite a bit of flesh and I don't know if they can ever fully recover.

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost a month, I believe I was able to save most of my tank. I did lose some things though. My acans completely shriveled up and didn’t survive. My hammer in the very front is very bleached and almost clear but it’s still coming out every day so I’ll keep it going. My original GSP would no longer show green. It would come fully out but not be green at all so I ended up replacing that with a new piece for very cheap obviously. Here is my tank now -

A9297880-E5E4-49D2-AE44-73B622EE6B19.jpeg
7DF2FC08-70A5-4F5E-AB49-3BA0E17126DB.jpeg

I lost a couple zoas as well but I was able to save my favorite ones. The only thing it didn’t effect was my Duncan coral actually. No change noticeable with that guy

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost a month, I believe I was able to save most of my tank. I did lose some things though. My acans completely shriveled up and didn’t survive. My hammer in the very front is very bleached and almost clear but it’s still coming out every day so I’ll keep it going. My original GSP would no longer show green. It would come fully out but not be green at all so I ended up replacing that with a new piece for very cheap obviously. Here is my tank now -

A9297880-E5E4-49D2-AE44-73B622EE6B19.jpeg
7DF2FC08-70A5-4F5E-AB49-3BA0E17126DB.jpeg

I lost a couple zoas as well but I was able to save my favorite ones. The only thing it didn’t effect was my Duncan coral actually. No change noticeable with that guy
still a stunning tank!!!

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and I’ve since learned all fish and corals can live without food for a week. Just fatten them up before vacation.
Well you're mostly right, 95% of fish should be fine...

For the other 5% like anthias you buy an auto feeder.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely not true. While many fish might survive without food for a week there are a lot, such as anthias, that definitely won’t. And frankly, no food for a week wouldn’t be good for any fish. A couple of days might be OK, but a week is not a good idea.
Agree my wrasse would eat each other in a day or two. Multiple feeding a day to control aggression

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Thank you. I’ve only been in the hobby for a year but I put a ton of work into my tank. Glad to have it all back to life and okay :)
Yeah I feel you man. About to hit 1 year mark soon. You should try controller with auto feeder ?

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel you man. About to hit 1 year mark soon. You should try controller with auto feeder ?
I’ve thought about it. I do like to feed on my own and if I go away again, I have people to help that know how to feed. I assumed my mom could handle it but she lone wolfs it a lot lol

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I portion out the food daily in containers and label day and date. Worked for me so far.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive had this happen. I went to visit my brother in 2018 for christmas. Had a friend feed ny tank. 3 days before i was to come home she said my fish were dying. Turns out she put her hands in my tank. And she use lotion alot. The lotion killed 70% if my fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back