What about C:N:P ratio?

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.What do you say about carbon in the ratio C:N: P? Bacteria and plants utilize N and P in the ratio 106:16:1, but how to measure carbon in this paradigm? How do you know that it's enough? Unlike N: P, we have no way to measure carbon (Or do we have such an opportunity?)
Thanks a lot for any advice.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
carbon is usually the limiting factor for Bacteria and the way we manage nutrients is by controlling it.

The more Carbon you add, the more rapidly bacteria would multiply and consume the 2 others (NP) which can easily be measured and observed.

I wouldn’t put much weight on the red field ratios if at all, that is because bacteria isn’t the only nutrient consumer in your tank and multiple processes affecting your nutrient levels are happening in parallel.

Pick a range for each that works well for your system and try to keep each within its own range, independently from each other.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.What do you say about carbon in the ratio C:N: P? Bacteria and plants utilize N and P in the ratio 106:16:1, but how to measure carbon in this paradigm? How do you know that it's enough? Unlike N: P, we have no way to measure carbon (Or do we have such an opportunity?)
Thanks a lot for any advice.

My advice is to ignore ratios. They have very little use to reefers, and are never the best way to set target levels in a reef tanks.

Ratios of N and P in the water can easily mislead folks while absolute concentrations cannot.

Finally, the carbon part is wholly unuseful to reefers, and should not ever be used as a target for anything. Photosynthetic organisms get carbon from either CO2 or bicarbonate/carbonate and not from organic materials.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back