What algea is this and how do i get rid of it

Sgt.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some sort of algae bloom in my reef tank. My tank is about 4 to 5 months old and it seems like this stuff is taking over. I was told that it might be a KIND OF CORALINE ALGAE. But I don't think that's right. It is bright green in color in some spots and also a little darker where it has been there longer. Its hard like Coralline Algae and I have to use a razor blade to get it off my glass. Also I have been using purple up that way purple coralline algae would hopefully take over. All my test levels are in good shape also. Please Help
IMG_6697.jpg
IMG_6693.jpg
IMG_6699.jpg
IMG_6680.jpg
IMG_6352.jpg

sqcube4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need a CUC - clean up crew .. blue legs .. snails .. they will knock out that green .. do you have direct sunlight hitting your tank most of that green algae looks like some kind of sunlight .. why use purple up .. that does not help grow anything .. its just a booster .. water changes help more for coraline to grow .. what is your water chemistry .. ph . alk . mag . cal . rates and rites .

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green film algae, the natural progression of a newly established system, it will soon be replaced by green coralline and then pink and purple. I agree stop the Purple up product, you do not need.

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It normal to get this type of algae on new rock in a young tank, it's part of of the cycle. Everything that is green will eventually turn in to more desirable coraline algae as long as you tank parameters are steady and you have good lighting, and perform water changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sgt.Wilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank u so much for y'all replies.. And no sunlight at all on tank.. It does have all new rock except for a couple of good live rock in there.. I have took the rocks out in the past and scrubbed them in hot water to get the green off, but still comes back.. I guess I made a newbie mistake LOL.. But like I said according to every reef tank chart on levels everything is A Ok.. I have a 73 gallon bow front tank with T5 lighting system and I use RO water also I have a octopus protein skimmer on it with a canister under tank filter.. Also two power heads for water flow.. So if it normal for this to grow before the pink and purple comes then I will leave it alone.. I can't wait until it comes on because I don't like the green

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back