OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish so I have been having a rough time trying to obtain CP and don't really want to use copper (had nothing but negative results in the past) so I did a formalin bath for 45 min on monday, transferred to new qt and dropped the salinity to 1.010 slowly just in case its still flukes. Its been at 1.010 as of Wednesday morning and the fish is no longer flashing or yawning but the rapid breathing is still present. fish is eating really well but I think the small qt is having a stressful effect on him. It shakes its head when eating but I think thats a normal butterfly habit if I'm not mistaking.
The only way I could get CP is from ebay ( I know not the best but only way to get it) which i ordered and it came yesterday.
I'm gonna wait till tomorrow so its a full 5 days in hypo ( for flukes sake) and then slowly raise sg to 1.015 and then move into a 30g qt and start cp treatment 40mg/g so 1.2g/30 gallon tank for 10 days and transfer to a new tank. not sure if it can still be velvet after 7 weeks of being in qt, but hopefully whatever it is the cp will resolve it.
what do you think? still recommend treating with cp? should i do fw dip and another formalin dip before the start of cp?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you think? still recommend treating with cp? should i do fw dip and another formalin dip before the start of cp?

CP from the eBay seller has a history of being hit or miss. You can search on here, Reef Central, Nano-reef, etc. for differing anecdotal experiences using it. You can try it, but personally I wouldn't trust it.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda figured about the eBay cp. it's crazy how hard it is to obtain it. I feel like it's harder then trying to score some drugs on the street Not that I would know!
will using more of it help counteract the less purity?
Here is a video of the fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will using more of it help counteract the less purity?

It's impossible to know how pure (or impure) it is without a chemical analysis (very expensive). So, you have no way of knowing how much you would need to overdose in order to compensate or if that strategy is even viable.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it and you are 100% right. gonna try and see if I can get any from a pharmacy or hopefully a fellow reefer.
Do you see anything on the video besides the breathing that could be of concern?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see anything on the video besides the breathing that could be of concern?

It does look like he has a mark right in the center of his body and something stringy hanging off. But I'm unable to determine what it is.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like he has a mark right in the center of his body and something stringy hanging off. But I'm unable to determine what it is.

thats where he had a bad infection going vertically down his body. Treated with antibiotics cocktail and its healed almost completely with just a scar left behind and some of the dead tissue.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:
So I did hypo 1.009 for 5 days and the fish was doing great. no more twitching, yawing or flashing so I slowly raised the sg to 1.015 within a 24 hour period and then transferred to a new 30g tank. Its been in there for exactly one week with no symptoms until today where the flashing, yawning and twitching all returned with no other physical symptoms but I can tell she is irritated.
I know hypo doesnt work for velvet so my question is could it still be velvet after all this time? or have the flukes returned and I cant't get rid of them.

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:
So I did hypo 1.009 for 5 days and the fish was doing great. no more twitching, yawing or flashing so I slowly raised the sg to 1.015 within a 24 hour period and then transferred to a new 30g tank. Its been in there for exactly one week with no symptoms until today where the flashing, yawning and twitching all returned with no other physical symptoms but I can tell she is irritated.
I know hypo doesnt work for velvet so my question is could it still be velvet after all this time? or have the flukes returned and I cant't get rid of them.

Was this issue ever resolved?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back