What am I doing wrong with Red planet Acro?

Deiby Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I would appreciate any input on this subject. I bought a nice frag of a Red planet Acro and it started to loose the skin by next day. The piece has lost all skin and it's now white. I'm assuming it's dead now. I want to buy another piece but want to make sure it doesn't die. I'm going to tell you step by step of what I did when I got it.
1 - I acclimated it to my temperature by floating it in my sump for like 25 minutes.
2 - I drip it for another 25 minutes with my display tank water.
3 - I coral dip it with 2 little fishies Revive for 15 minutes.
4 - Placed inside my display tank on a frag rack on the bottom of the tank.
My water parameters are these:
Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 78
Pho - .25 ppm
Nit - 10 - 20 ppm
Alk - 8.2
Cal - 450
Mag - 1335
I also want to mention that I have a Flame Angel that's been in the tank for more than a year. I suspect he has something to do with it although I never seen him.

Thanks in advance for any input.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other acropora that are doing ok?

It is totally possible that this one just did not transport/ship well - it happens.

Bayer is more gentle on acros than Revive or CoralRx - this usually will not harm an otherwise healthy acropora, but can be the final straw for a coral that is already on edge.

I would not sweat the Flame Angel too much. They can do some damage, but it is more nipping over months and years that irritate coral and do not really kill them.

OP
OP
Deiby Garcia

Deiby Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other acropora that are doing ok?

It is totally possible that this one just did not transport/ship well - it happens.

Bayer is more gentle on acros than Revive or CoralRx - this usually will not harm an otherwise healthy acropora, but can be the final straw for a coral that is already on edge.

I would not sweat the Flame Angel too much. They can do some damage, but it is more nipping over months and years that irritate coral and do not really kill them.
Thanks. I have a highlighter acro that looks great. Really green with great polyp extension. A blue one that color is nice but dont really show PE.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back