What am i doing wrong?

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 Gallon mixed reef with lots of shrooms, zoas, palys, clam and a RBTA. Literally a plethora of random corals which are doing great Tanks been up and running for 5 years. Plenty of fairy and flashers along with a Naso and Pyramid butterfly. Id consider it medium bioload. My problem is SPS. Frags come in and seem to last about 2 weeks and turn white. Heck even got a frag last week that was white and it colored up and showed new growth then to ultimatly bleach out.

PH 8.3 Apex
DkH 7.5 Hannah
CA 425 Aquaforest
Mag 1350 Salifert
Temp 76.5-77 Apex
Phosphates .06 Hannah

I run a sump and refugium with chaeto. I skim with a RSK900 and in my opinion have plenty of flow 2 Jebaos and a cor-14 return. I dont seem to be having any major swings in params that ive documented over the last two months. Kalkwasser is always the same amount and never bump the Alk back up more then .5 in a given week. I feed the fish LRS daily and once a week try and target feed corals reef chili. Tank has 3 OR Leds hung 10" above the water and run about 70%blue and 30%white for 10 hours. My question is what am i doing wrong here? Am i missing something? I am almost wondering if there starving? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you losing? Acropora, or other types of SPS like Montis, Birdsnest, Stylos, etc.?

3 ORs on a 180 is not a ton of light for acropora, but also should not make them waste away in 2 weeks... more like just slower growth on the edges and stuff. I would not sweat lights. If you feed your fish a lot, then you are not starving them - if the chaeto thrives, SPS should too.

Do you change water? Some worry about chemical warfare with softies and SPS, but I don't buy into that. I do think that some softies can deplete the water of traces and some SPS can suffer, but regular water changes usually make this work OK.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back