What am I supposed to do about this smh STOP USING IO SALT RN!!!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no one tests their new water... we rely 110% on it being non toxic, its rodi water and thats giving me 0s, I will re test but this kit has never ever failed me
Are you using a freshwater ammonia test kit on your RODI water?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP wrote this, but if they have been using tap water in the past i bet that is the reason. Crap accumulates overtime in our tanks
His last thread a week ago it was tap water.. dunno lol

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you dump it in... the new sw would get mixed with the old water, test the new water in your tub or bucket or whatever you use to make your new water you'll see.
Good job you caught it before anything drastically happend, unfortunately this is between you and supplier. I'm sure all will check there new stock but I've not had any issues, especially amonia

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me? That was BEFORE-I use rodi water now and I tested BOTH tap water and rodi water-is giving me 0 readings, please stop stalking me smh
Okay! ;) have a good one buddy! It’s the salts fault..

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Test with multiple different test kits

2. Go get a small bag of another salt brand and try to prove your hypothesis that the salt mix is bringing in the ammonia

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troylee is a good person, much respect to them and their knowledge. We are trying to find out what might actually be causing the issue and tap could be the cause.
1. Test with multiple different test kits

2. Go get a small bag of another salt brand and try to prove your hypothesis that the salt mix is bringing in the ammonia
This is a good experiment to run

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! ;) have a good one buddy! It’s the salts fault..
Welp in the end I was literally left with: "guess sometimes the manufacturers have problems"... so I guess I have to accept your answer here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have something funky going on in your mixing barrels. I literally just finished dumping a 50g bag out of a 200g box in my barrel. 0 ammonia.
The barrel? I use a 30 gallon tub, out of panic I bought sw at the lfs that was 0, remained 0 in the tubs, the tub was never used before, it would've spiked the ammonia again but it did not !

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp in the end I was literally left with: "guess sometimes the manufacturers have problems"... so I guess I have to accept your answer here.
please dont take this the wrong way, you are obviously a bit flustered right now (and justified for it with a currently crashing tank, any of us would be as well). Best thing to do would be to run over to any LFS around you and pick up another test kit and small bag of salt and run the experiment so you can figure out what the problem is (like theduude said). I would even have another person run the test for you as sometimes we dont realize that we might be measuring wrong for some reason. A small amount of ammonia is sometimes in salt mix but 2ppm just seems too high for this

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, what are you doing? People are trying to help you and your attitude sucks.
Troylee's attitude clearly started first why dont you tell that to him then? I just give back what people give to me, I am not trying to be rude to anyone else in here and if I am my apologies.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no one tests their new water... we rely 110% on it being non toxic, its rodi water and thats giving me 0s, I will re test but this kit has never ever failed me
... I ALWAYS test my new water. Who doesn't?! Fresh batch of salt always gets shaken, stirred, and tested, I don't care if it's Red Sea Blue Bucket or Cargill Bulk. It matches my parameters or it doesn't go in.

That said I also never get ammonia in my salt, so sanity check your test kit, Call up the IO helpline with your batch number, and stop crying wolf, there's always wolves, that's why we need to be better shepherds!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back