what angels are you keeping in your reefs???

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am personally such a sucker for angelfish and just havent broke down and got any yet for my new tank that is strictly sps....
what angels are you guys having good luck with that don't find corals as a everyday feeding frenzy????
please share your experinces with angels in reefs, mixed, sps only etc...thanks..:)

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my pair of blackspot swallowtails for 3 years. Love 'em, wouldn't trade 'em for nothin'. :bigsmile:

Maleswallowtail_1.jpg

5974a917c82a3a30.jpg

Last edited:

ziggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a flame angel for over 2 years now and it hasn't picked at anything. I hear they are a 50-50 shot though. Maybe I am just lucky..

NC Health

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters Angels. Seem to leave my sps colonies alone. doing really well for the past 6 months.

Makbarracuda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got rid of my bicolor angel:(. He was in my tank for over a year and a half, then one day decided that zoas could really add something to his diet. I was sad that he had to leave but when he starts eating some of the more expensive pieces I figured it wasn't worth it. I had the same problem with a Singapore and my friend had a coral beauty for two years, plus the 6 months it took to catch him. All in all I won't put another angel in my tank as the diversity and price of livestock grows.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Asfur angel and a Majestic angel. Neither eats any coral, and they get along fine. The Asfur is a generally grouchy fish and he takes occasional runs at all the other fish inhabitants, including the Majestic, but it doesn't happen any more often than with the other fish.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have my pair of centropyge joculator's and a pygoplites diacanthus with a couple more on deck ;)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apolemichthys arcuatus - model citizen.

They're well worth the risk! Feeding very well (multiple times per day) and other tank mates are good ways to keep them "busy". They're very smart, curious animals that will get bored and "try" new things if given the opportunity ;)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those majestics..:) glad to here a good so far about them... I'm not really to worried since all I have is sps so nipping would be the worst.... With the colors and behaviors of those angels it is worth the risk IMO.... I know I want a majestic for sure and maybe a blue line I seen a couple members here have one and it's a real good looking fish... Worst case I got a real nice trap I made so there easy enough to get out...;)

hlem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 pygmy, 1 over a year, second 6-7 months, not eating any corals. Majestic, a little over a month, was in my friend's tank for ~7months before i had him. no eating corals either. lucky me?

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those majestics..:) glad to here a good so far about them... I'm not really to worried since all I have is sps so nipping would be the worst.... With the colors and behaviors of those angels it is worth the risk IMO.... I know I want a majestic for sure and maybe a blue line I seen a couple members here have one and it's a real good looking fish... Worst case I got a real nice trap I made so there easy enough to get out...;)

Majestics are beautiful, but are more shy than many other angels out there. But once acclimated, they are out a lot, just not as much as other types of angels. As a result, they seem to play better with others, which is good.

Diamondsinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love resplendent angels. A little hard to find these days but they usually are really good in reefs and fun to watch. Good luck with your new addition.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love resplendent angels. A little hard to find these days but they usually are really good in reefs and fun to watch. Good luck with your new addition.
A little hard to find? Are you sure you're not talking about a different, similar species?

Ascension Island has a restriction on exporting anything now, so if you see one available it's illegally collected or from a hobbyist trying to sell one they've had for a while (unlikely, you hang onto these fish!).

Back