What are some of the little things an online livestock seller does that you like/dislike?

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something that came to my mind while doing some online window shopping.

What are some of the not so obvious details that you appreciate or annoy you when shopping for fish or corals online, whether it is a vendor or a hobbyist?

Let's ignore the obvious and more discussed items like sale/pricing strategies, heavily doctored/blue photos, coral naming, etc.

I'll get it started:

1. Mother colony pictures. Especially for frags that may not show the coral's full potential color pattern (think some rainbow chalices or acros where new growth may have a different color).
2. Pictures under various lighting. Tidal Gardens provides daylight and actinic pictures. Granted, theirs is the same picture edited to show each, but it still gives me a better idea as to what it will really look like in my tank. Especially as my lights adjust color throughout the day.
3. Forum sponsors that include a link to their site either in the post or in their signature (even better if the embedded image links directly to the coral on the site). It seems obvious that you would provide a link to your site if you are selling online, but I have noticed a few times that some don't. Of course, it isn't hard to search for the vendor, but sometimes a vendor's address isn't exactly the same as their name.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great question! Well protected corals are key - both the packaging and the way that the individual corals are packaged. I also like the something extra - for example, stickers, small pack of coral food, R2R towel (yes, we have worked with a vendor to do this in the past), and more.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with going the extra mile. It is always nice getting a box, and it has extra little things in it, shows the vendor truly does care about the product. Not to mention receiving a shipment, and it is packed neatly and not just thrown together in a hurry.

OP
OP
Y

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like the something extra - for example, stickers
Funny you mention that. I just received a shipment today and when I saw your comment it ocurred to me that past orders from the vendor had a couple stickers and this time there weren't any. My girlfriend puts all of the reefing stickers I get onto her luggage as a way to easily ID her bag at the airport, even though she isn't into the hobby. A significant percentage of her checked bag's surface area is made up of the stacks of Dinkins stickers I got when I ordered phyto from them.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you mention that. I just received a shipment today and when I saw your comment it ocurred to me that past orders from the vendor had a couple stickers and this time there weren't any. My girlfriend puts all of the reefing stickers I get onto her luggage as a way to easily ID her bag at the airport, even though she isn't into the hobby. A significant percentage of her checked bag's surface area is made up of the stacks of Dinkins stickers I got when I ordered phyto from them.
What a great idea! I know that Dinkins is an up and coming company, but this may take it to a whole new level!!! @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens coming to an airport near you!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big thing for me is that they regularly update their website (yes, website... not your facebook page!).

I do a lot of my shopping/browsing online as it allows me to plan a bit, research items/livestock before going into store.
Unfortunately it seems my two closest LFS either don't utilize a website or don't update it regularly enough with current stock so I never really know what they ACTUALLY have available.

I have no issues with companies using FB to get more people involved/grow their customer base, but when you don't update your actual website it's locking people out who don't wish to use FB etc. Seeing a company regularly update their website with current stock demonstrates to me that they're quite passionate/organized about what they do also.

I HATE when websites purely show a page showing what brands they carry etc. If you're going to the effort of making a website, at least show what you have in stock etc.

Seeing information about a fish or coral is great. Whilst fish generally do get named on most sites I've seen. Sometimes corals are just listed as 'WYSIWYG' maybe with a number against it, don't be lazy, just list the name of it. Some reefers haven't been around for long and it's nice to know what you think looks nice or buy so you can research it.
Having further detailed information about a fish or coral is always a plus in my eyes too.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not happy when the corals shown are just stock photos vs. WYSIWYG photos.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sick of the sales that take place in the forum. ie Live sales. I agree with the website comments above. Hire someone to manage your website... its not that hard. If you cant manage a website, why should I trust you with live creatures???

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like:

1.) Coral care info. Than from Tidal Garden is incredible about this.
2.) Lighting variations. Again, Than from Tidal Gardens is the GOAT here, but other shops do it well.
3.) Large colony pictures. WWC does this with acros - SUPER useful to know what a frag might look like in time!!

Dislike:

1.) I ordered a bunch of stuff from another shop that I won't name, to give competitors a shot, and the frags were so insanely tiny compared to what I get from Tidal Gardens. I felt a little bit deceived.

That's about it I guess. I have had very positive experiences with online coral vendors.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back