What are some things we can do to ensure that our aquarium inhabitants are taken care of long-term?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are some things we can do to ensure that our aquarium inhabitants are taken care of long-term?

Please list them out in detail if you will.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you setup your tank for long term use! Always think about the future of things before performing them!

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. I think a lot of new people think a quick dose of this will instantly fix that. By reaserching and finding a solution to a problem sometimes baby steps are the best.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always consider the life span of your fish and coral. This is not a month to month game. Do research. Clowns (the most popular fish) can live at least 12 years. Coral indefinitely.

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a record of all things related to your reef something like a spread sheet or just a plain old note book

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have backups so small problems do not cause big problems.
Put at least one pump on a seperate circuit so if a circuit breaker trips you will not loose everything.
Have some plan for backup circulation if you have a power outage, battery backup air pumps will keep tanks alive, Generators are great. Good UPSes on one pump can keep a tank alive.
When you leave somebody in charge of your tank, make sure they do not over feed your tank. Non tank keepers will overfeed and can kill everything in your tank.
Make sure you have some type of a siphon brake on your return so a short power outage does not leave your tank dry.
Drip loops on all cords so a small amount of water will not trip your circuit breaker.
Mount power strips on wall or stand so a small overflow of sump will not trip circuit breaker.
Make sure your ATO can not turn your tank into a freshwater tank with a simple failure.
Make sure your ATO can not turn your tank into a freshwater tank if your skimmer goes crazy.
Do not allow cleaning chemicals to be used around the tank, aerosols can kill your tank being used in the same room.
Make sure young kids can not put anything into tank or sump.
I know there are lots more but these are the ones that I have seen kill tanks.

Kim

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To expand on the research point above, do not trust an LFS for knowledge until you build a good relationship with them and they have proven to be working in the best interest of the animals. Research fish/corals and test the LFS on things (don't make it obvious, just play dumb.) If they tell you things that are wrong or they don't know, don't buy from there. They are either just trying to make a sale, or they do not know enough to properly take care of the livestock. Between the stress of collection, shipping, and being at a bad LFS those animals will not be healthy and you're only setting yourself up for disaster if you buy from them. There are many highly reputable LFS and online stores out there. Support those that care more about the animals than lining their pockets.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info so far.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn as much as you can about the ocean, coral, fish, the hobby. They only have as much of a chance as we individually are willing to give/learn.

Also, make some reefing friends. This one is probably the #1 thing that will keep many peoples tanks and their coral alive IMO.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back