What are some underrated fish for a large reef tank?

CoralGoblin8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g 6ft tank.
Current stock is:
- Pair of Barrier Reef Clowns
- Sailfin Tang
- Foxface
- Yellow Coris
- Timor Wrasse
- Royal Dottyback
- Group of damsels (Yellowtail, Humbug, Talbots etc)

Wha are some underrated or unknown fish that I could add? Ive been looking at a Harlequin Tusk and Birdnose Wrasse.

Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, and of course you'd ask... This was taken a few days ago just with my iPhone 8 for another R2R member as he wanted to see my aquascape - so not all of the fish are present. Lower left, melanarus wrasse and lamarck's angelfish. All the smaller chromia, basslets and anthias are out of course. Parrotfish is hiding at the back of the tank in his cave and the marine betta is still sleeping.

Believe it or not there are 35 fish present. Some of the crew (like the parrotfish) just hate cameras.

6411993E-349E-41A6-BB82-1C41F39780B6.jpeg
How does he do with other labrids?

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does he do with other labrids?
He's the king, naturally. The melanarus usually sleeps in and arrives late to the party, the sixline is off on patrol most of the time and the only wrasse that gets on his nerves is the bicolor cleaner wrasse - who used to pester him looking for free meals. It was quite funny watching a 7" parrotfish chase a 2" cleaner wrasse around the tank! (but they've since resolved their differences)

The marine betta is actually one of the most peaceful fish in the tank. He's not into the whole "fish frenzy" during feeding and will either patiently wait for me to hand feed him or snag his dinner when the other piranhas calm down a bit.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could this be Chevron AND Whitetail? Would they get along ok together?
had no problem, in 240 gal Chev was 7" WT was 4+" along with tomi at 4" and a few others.
RRS .PT. 2 4" Vlamingi ,at the time, foxy and few smalls.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be Chevron AND Whitetail? Would they get along ok together?
In a 6’ I wouldn’t recommend also the chevron is Hawaiian endemic. You can’t get them now unless someone is taking down a tank and has one. Even then be ready for a VERY high price tag.

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g 6ft tank.
Current stock is:
- Sailfin Tang
- Foxface
- Yellow Coris
- Timor Wrasse
- Royal Dottyback

Wha are some underrated or unknown fish that I could add? Ive been looking at a Harlequin Tusk and Birdnose Wrasse.

Thanks!
both those, triggers are nice, , a harem of large basslets (harlequin, tobacco bass), harem of hawkfish or a giant hawkfish, arc eye and things are nice, valamingi are nice. FTS?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g 6ft tank.
Current stock is:
- Sailfin Tang
- Foxface
- Yellow Coris
- Timor Wrasse
- Royal Dottyback

Thanks!
I don’t know if I commented on this however, both the harlequin and birdmouth wrasses are too aggressive for other wrasses IMO. Personally I’d say they need aggressive tanks, they would possibly go and eat the two Halichoeres you have currently.

Upvote 0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trigger is reef safe
D
I respect your point of view, but these triggerfish are coral safe, as far as I know. In the wild they are planktivores, unlike other triggerfish. Perhaps I should have said bluethroat triggerfish instead, as their reef-safety is well known by most hobbyists, and they appear to be the "poster child" of the genus. I have not owned one myself, but all of the information with any evidence to back it up that I can find suggests reef compatibility.

These are some articles that I found supporting my view. I hope that Reef2Reef allows external links. If you have any experience with these triggers that shows a lack of reef safety or have any articles that suggest the same, please share them. I am planning a large tank and these are on my wishlist, so I would like to hear any meaningful dissent to their reef safety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire genus of xanthichthys are supposedly reef safe. This is due to them being planktivorous in the wild as said above.
The whole genus are often kept in reefs due to this and actually, IME most triggerfish will actually avoid the SPS coral, mainly going for fleshy LPS such as acanthastrea, Micromusa ect…

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very underrated imo are lavender tangs. They usually come in small and look kinda bland, but man do they look nice mature. And cheap!

Only downside to green bird wrasse is they are shrimp eaters.

1648484749295.png
I hope to get one of these when I have a larger tank

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, and of course you'd ask... This was taken a few days ago just with my iPhone 8 for another R2R member as he wanted to see my aquascape - so not all of the fish are present. Lower left, melanarus wrasse and lamarck's angelfish. All the smaller chromia, basslets and anthias are out of course. Parrotfish is hiding at the back of the tank in his cave and the marine betta is still sleeping.

Believe it or not there are 35 fish present. Some of the crew (like the parrotfish) just hate cameras.

6411993E-349E-41A6-BB82-1C41F39780B6.jpeg
Gorgeous!

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I've been contemplating a "school" of cardinals for my S-1000.
I've got 3 right now: a pajama and pair of banggai. The pajama is about 2-3x the size of the banggai but they all seem to be getting along.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back