what are the best CUC to prevent algae on sand

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 13 gal tank. My rockwork is 99% algae free thanks to my Mexican turbo snails and hermit crabs, but I have had a problem with algae growing on the sand, eventually forming mats. I took out the sand for a month to work on the problem. The sand is back in and I want to prevent its return. What cuc animals would be best for this. (It's only a 13 gal tank. Nutrients are always low because there are no fish being fed. I don't have old photos of it. I was like a short hair algae)

Sal- 1.026
pH- 8.1
Alk- 7.5
Nit- 2.0
Phos- 0.02

Last edited:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rockwork is 99% algae free thanks to my Mexican turbo snails and hermit crabs, but I have had a problem with algae growing on the sand, eventually forming mats. I took out the sand for a month to work on the problem. The sand is back in and I want to prevent its return. What cuc animals would be best for this. (It's only a 13 gal tank. Nutrients are always low because there are no fish being fed. I don't have old photos of it. I was like a short hair algae)

Sal- 1.026
pH- 8.1
Alk- 7.5
Nit- 2.0
Phos- 0.02
ceriths, Nas (need feeding).

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow head sleeper goby.
Melanurus wrasse.
Tiger pistol shrimp.
Sand sifting starfish.
Conch.
Small horseshoe crab is probably the king here if you can find them in stock and have 6" of space between rocks and glass for them to scurry around.

I have none of these things and my sand shows it. Lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow head sleeper goby.
Melanurus wrasse.
Tiger pistol shrimp.
Sand sifting starfish.
Conch.
Small horseshoe crab is probably the king here if you can find them in stock and have 6" of space between rocks and glass for them to scurry around.

I have none of these things and my sand shows it. Lol
not good suggestions for a 13 gallon. Horseshoes are hard to care for unless you have a tank made for them

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
routine stirring in that size of tank. i've had a little of every other option and only had good results with a Goby but you can't always rely on them to deposit the substrate back where you want it.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny conch and/or Ceriths and Dwarf Ceriths. The tank might be too small to keep a conch alive long term, so I'd probably do a dozen Ceriths and 2 dozen Dwarf Ceriths.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on goby but tank is a little small for one also jumpers I’m on my third
I want a Bella goby for my 75g mixed reef tank but I keep hearing how people regret them due to the constant need to clean the corals. Are diamond gobies better in that regard? Or should I just do the snails and conchs as suggested in this thread.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never purchased pods before. Should the LFS have them or is there a particularly reliable place to order them?

Algae Barn is the go-to, but they are SUPER expensive. Ever since I found Jay's Reef Bugs, I've used them instead. Prices are good, shipping is reasonable and the pods are top notch.

If you're seeding them for the first time, get the 7 species blend. I used one bottle in my 10g and 2 bottles in my 30L to start. Just float the bottle to acclimate then, after lights out, turn off the pumps for about 30 minutes while you dump half of the pods in the display and half in the back chambers of an AiO tank.

ETA: I use his phyto blend too.

Back