What are the consequences when pH is too high?

crvz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has been hitting 8.6 - 8.7 per my pH probes (I have two in the tank, and they are about 0.1 pH different but consistently measuring that peak during the day). I have a relatively large system at about 450 gallons, and I use BRS 2 part dosing for the SPS heavy tank. I'm using about 300mL of the soda ash mixture and 240mL of calcium chloride to keep the values at around 8.75 dKh and 425ppm respectively. I switched to this about 15 months ago after having the opposite problem; running a calcium reactor to keep up with demand was depleting pH, and I was struggling to get it over about 8.1.

The aquarium is in a closed up room in the garage with its own AC, and the room is about 150 square feet, and while pretty well aerated given the various pumps and protein skimmer, that room doesn't get a lot of air turnover.

Do I believe the 8.6 pH value? I have my doubts. I should probably recalibrate the probes, but given the large volume of soda ash dosing each day it may not be totally unreasonable. So what are the consequences if it is that high? The corals seem to be doing well, growth is pretty good for my experience and I've no complaints.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back