What are the white spots when a fish has ich?

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, we have a discussion going on a FB group about Crypto. A few are convinced that the white spots we physically see are the actual crypto parasite and can be eaten by cleaner shrimp. I know that's not the case, but what exactly are the white spots we see? Is it scarred tissue? Slime coat? Crypto experts, help me out here.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that the spots are actually a "cyst" from the fish trying to fight if the actual parasite feeding on its skin. I may be wrong though. @Humblefish @melypr1985 and [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] may be able to shine a little more light

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a little background info: The theront is the free swimming stage which excysts from the tomont (encysted or "egg" stage). Theronts latch onto a fish and burrow in under the epithelium (outer skin layer). While it is theoretically possible for a cleaner shrimp (or wrasse) to eat a theront before it burrows, the parasite is protected after that. Once a theront has burrowed in under the epithelium, it is now called a trophont.

The trophont (stage that feeds on the fish) is invisible to the naked eye. The white dot you see is actually excess mucous buildup around the tiny “bite mark” inflicted by the trophont. Trophonts feed on a fish for 3-7 days before dropping off to encyst (as tomonts) and the life cycle begins all over again.

More info here (under Understanding Ich): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First a little background info: The theront is the free swimming stage which excysts from the tomont (encysted or "egg" stage). Theronts latch onto a fish and burrow in under the epithelium (outer skin layer). While it is theoretically possible for a cleaner shrimp (or wrasse) to eat a theront before it burrows, the parasite is protected after that. Once a theront has burrowed in under the epithelium, it is now called a trophont.

The trophont (stage that feeds on the fish) is invisible to the naked eye. The white dot you see is actually excess mucous buildup around the tiny “bite mark” inflicted by the trophont. Trophonts feed on a fish for 3-7 days before dropping off to encyst (as tomonts) and the life cycle begins all over again.

More info here (under Understanding Ich): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

+1

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back