What are these on my new frags?

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these a few days ago, i got them in a cheap bundle and they looked healthy other than this thing on them, they both have different issues im worried about.

0F604BE1-F2E0-4048-8316-AA383110BB73.jpeg

So there are what looks like bite marks on my birds nest? Im worried since these look like flatworm bites? Never gotten them on birdsnests before. More and more are coming up.

7CC35CA1-54B2-48A2-8DB4-0B8FAB1AF2E6.jpeg

Heres a bali slimer with what looks like dark green dots? I can’t see if they are moving or not. These can be seen easily at night, not sure if this one is something to worry about.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like polyps on the green slimmer to me. The other one looks too fuzzy for me to see
Thought it might be polyps, hoping they are!
The birds nest has some bare white spots on some parts of it that are becoming bigger.
Could be red bugs or acro eating flat worms. Hard to tell!!.

Did you dip before putting in the tank?
Yes i dipped, nothing came off but i only did a short dose, might need to be stronger. Not sure if the thing on the acro are harmful, should i do a series of dips on it?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably new tips growing on the birds nest. Are you sure they’re bare?
Hoping it was new tips but i don’t think so since there are so many of them. They are not fully bare but the colors are really pale almost bare on those parts. Here are pics from other parts of it. Think the dots keep multiplying since i got it, not sure though.
67C11364-4A3F-47F4-A073-19E167C5A4CA.jpeg
2D5E7CA6-4EA2-45D9-988A-68E078E54A7A.jpeg

A few days ago vs today, the spots are getting lighter.
92A041EC-1C18-4CFC-B7F8-5517E82A48F0.jpeg
EB0B3B59-07AE-45FB-B534-9FFAD2CD588F.jpeg

Above are pics from today from other sides.
One of the things i circled is a new tip i think but the rest didn't protude. Can they really grow these many tips? Around 10 spots right now

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, my camera can't really pick up the spots but if it is seen with a naked eye, can be seen easily.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds nest looks like it has some tissue necrosis. Is that some algae hanging off one of the left branches?

The black spots on the slimer give me some pause. If you were to retake that first photo exactly, are the dark things in the same spots exactly?

Has the tank been supporting other acropora, or are these your first?

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birds nest looks like it has some tissue necrosis. Is that some algae hanging off one of the left branches?

The black spots on the slimer give me some pause. If you were to retake that first photo exactly, are the dark things in the same spots exactly?

Has the tank been supporting other acropora, or are these your first?
2 other acros, still small frags.

yes it's algae, it came in like that, should i frag the edges then? they came in with the dots but i wasn't concerned until it multiplied. think the acro's photos from last time still has the same spots, have to check that again though.

All of the tanks ive had (even though acros thrived) i can't seem to keep birdanests alive. not sure what i should do with this particular one so it doesn't end up like my previous ones...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 other acros, still small frags.

yes it's algae, it came in like that, should i frag the edges then? they came in with the dots but i wasn't concerned until it multiplied. think the acro's photos from last time still has the same spots, have to check that again though.

All of the tanks ive had (even though acros thrived) i can't seem to keep birdanests alive. not sure what i should do with this particular one so it doesn't end up like my previous ones...
Yes trim the dead stuff well back to live tissue.

Can take some time to settle even if the params are suitable. If the other two acros have been there a while then don't go changing things for the new comers.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes trim the dead stuff well back to live tissue.

Can take some time to settle even if the params are suitable. If the other two acros have been there a while then don't go changing things for the new comers.
Good news the slimer’s dots were indeed new polyps, just started opening up today. Although not sure about the birdsnest. Will be cutting the dead part. Hoping it can recover. Should i try dipping or just leave it be?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back