what are these that just came in on my monti?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go a montipora and put it in the tank and these things came with it. The look black dandelion seeds if those seeds wiggled. I shook off a bunch in the bucket but saw a few wiggle down and away in the current of the tank when I put the monti in the tank. I hope they are just medusa worms but could they be something worse?

Going to get out my microscope to have a look but thought I would check with you guys. thanks

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like mini feather-dusters. So maybe hydroids?
I looked at it under a microscope and it's really cool. It does look like a feather duster without the calcium tube they live in. The main body has these little barbs the retract back into it and the head looks like feathers arranged in a radial pattern. The feathers are striated with black and brown. The other end is white and shaped like a cone.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking all over with different google searches and it does match some of the diagrams of feather duster type worms but none of the diagrams have the tail quite like this. It might be a hydroid but those don't seem to match the feathered tentacles. I think the tail though does suggest that it attaches to something but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. They are tube worms that were on the monti that came out of there tubes. After a day or so I saw some still in the tubes on the underside of the cap.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back