What are those spots?

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what happened to my fire fish and clownfish? The fire fish got some grey spots on both sides of body. It started with only one spot and now there are so many.... is this caused by parasites? As to the black spot on clownfish, it started one week ago after I put in some corals in my tank and started 10 hours light schedule - I am wondering if those black spots are related to this change.

Appreciate for your comments and advices.

Danni

AF734D57-3894-4A3C-94F6-C4BC0231939F.jpeg 6AFC6BEF-1F00-4B2C-829A-3FB4BC20C26C.jpeg 328B041A-8C36-49AE-85A5-884A2106EAB6.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The dark spots on the clownfish are likely due to brushing into a coral and getting stung. That shouldn't be a long term issue.

I just cannot see the spots on the firefish clearly. In the last photo, I can see a couple of diffuse gray spots I think. I don't think that is the same issue, but I can't tell you what that is, it doesn't appear to be ich. Is the firefish flashing (scratching)?

Jay

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The dark spots on the clownfish are likely due to brushing into a coral and getting stung. That shouldn't be a long term issue.

I just cannot see the spots on the firefish clearly. In the last photo, I can see a couple of diffuse gray spots I think. I don't think that is the same issue, but I can't tell you what that is, it doesn't appear to be ich. Is the firefish flashing (scratching)?

Jay
Thanks Jay for the response. My tank is only 2 months old, so I only have several tiny coral frags (zoanthids, star polyps, and mushrooms). Would those frags still cause the black spots on clownfish? I have two clownfishes, both got those dark spots on one day - it’s the day that I adopted 10 hours light schedule for coral frags. For fire fish, I took two more pics today (attached). It looks like she got more spots than yesterday. I didn’t find any spots on the other two firefishes. And yes, I do see they flash in the sand bed, but I thought flashing is the common behavior among fish.... maybe I am wrong

Attachments

• E52D33CC-80AD-46E8-87EE-2E5F2A34FFA1.jpeg
    E52D33CC-80AD-46E8-87EE-2E5F2A34FFA1.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 5E07F89C-A4CB-47FA-9D07-5E18ABAA4EDD.jpeg
    5E07F89C-A4CB-47FA-9D07-5E18ABAA4EDD.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 61

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for the response. My tank is only 2 months old, so I only have several tiny coral frags (zoanthids, star polyps, and mushrooms). Would those frags still cause the black spots on clownfish? I have two clownfishes, both got those dark spots on one day - it’s the day that I adopted 10 hours light schedule for coral frags. For fire fish, I took two more pics today (attached). It looks like she got more spots than yesterday. I didn’t find any spots on the other two firefishes. And yes, I do see they flash in the sand bed, but I thought flashing is the common behavior among fish.... maybe I am wrong
It's possible that the firefish have flukes, and the diffuse spots that you are seeing is areas of damaged skin where the clear flukes have been feeding. To find out definitively, you would need to do a skin scrape and that is pretty invasive.

A less invasive course might be to treat the tank for flukes with Prazipro. It will; kill any worms or feather dusters in your tank, but as long as you add good aeration, it won't harm your corals.

I still think the spots on the clownfish are just coral stings and not something that you need to treat.

Jay

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the firefish have flukes, and the diffuse spots that you are seeing is areas of damaged skin where the clear flukes have been feeding. To find out definitively, you would need to do a skin scrape and that is pretty invasive.

A less invasive course might be to treat the tank for flukes with Prazipro. It will; kill any worms or feather dusters in your tank, but as long as you add good aeration, it won't harm your corals.

I still think the spots on the clownfish are just coral stings and not something that you need to treat.

Jay
Hi Jay,

I think you are right. I did see something white attached to his one side of the body....I might try fresh water dip on it as I didn’t see any symptoms on the other fish.....never tried fresh water dip before and I am a little worried....any suggestions?

Back