What are you using for filtration on your tank?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody
I know that many of us are new to the group and also even those who has a lot of time here as well at some point has some issues arising from your tank or filtration system.
Lately I been having few issues and I was thinking that what have I change that I did not have hardly any issues or instability at my 92 gall tank.
The questions is :
Are are you using for filtration and filter your tank? Do you still using bio- balls or are you using the socks method? I change from my bio-balls to sock filtration or my sump has change into sock filtration, I wonder if the amount of dirt and particles and stuff that accumulate on the sump could be causing the issues I been experiencing with the phosphate, ph and algae, also my corals are receding on size and turning hard like calcifying themselves slowly, I don't recall having so many issues when I use to have the hanging overflow and bio-balls sump , what you guys thing? should I go back to bio-balls? who else think the same way or having issues when did the switch.

Is a pretty good size for the 92 gallons, Sorry about the salt around the sump in the picture, I'm cleaning my whole system that's why the skimmer don't show.

sump.jpg

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks any longer but do run floss in my tank periodically. I have lots of live rock rubble in there for pods and bacteria. I also run a skimmer and algae reactor since I don't have room for a refugium. The algae reactor has been the best thing I have added to the tank.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use socks any longer but do run floss in my tank periodically. I have lots of live rock rubble in there for pods and bacteria. I also run a skimmer and algae reactor since I don't have room for a refugium. The algae reactor has been the best thing I have added to the tank.
Hey something to think about and considerate myself , even it's very small amount I'm seeing. Never thought about an algae reactor.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bio-balls or socks in you system?

Nope. Stopped using socks a couple of years ago. I actually mimic the "triton method" but to an extent. I don't dose their additives, I haven't used their ICP tests but I do subscribe to zero to few water changes yearly, cheato and a skimmer. At first sump was collecting alot of detritus but with proper flow, skimmer pulls alot and whats left the cheato seems to be using as nutrient supply. I pull large clumps of cheato monthly and give away to fellow reefers.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Stopped using socks a couple of years ago. I actually mimic the "triton method" but to an extent. I don't dose their additives, I haven't used their ICP tests but I do subscribe to zero to few water changes yearly, cheato and a skimmer. At first sump was collecting alot of detritus but with proper flow, skimmer pulls alot and whats left the cheato seems to be using as nutrient supply. I pull large clumps of cheato monthly and give away to fellow reefers.
To bad you are to far from me, otherwise I would be Saturday Morning at your door to wake you up guys for that cheato lollllll I'm considering change the filtration system

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me ask you ... are you parameters on your water are stable with only chaeto and skimmer?

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of chaeto and some carbon in there. I dont run socks or a skimmer currently.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an overflow that goes (sometimes ) through socks into a larger skimmer area - that has a reactor with a small amount of carbon. Thats it.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my filtration setup because I don’t know if I am doing more harm than good.

Trigger 39 sump. A handful of bio-balls, and 20-30lbs of live-rock in it. Skimmer...... Algae Scrubber, and the big issue..... Filter-socks!

There is an opening on the top of the first section in the trigger sump where water will come out if it doesn’t drain past/through the filter socks and out the bottom.

I don’t check it that often, but if I had to guess, my filter socks clog enough to have the water redirect to this “overflow” in maybe less than 2 days.

I have one fish..... I’m not feeding that much!!!

The filter socks are the ones that came with the sump, and are only in use maybe 2 months, and maybe 3 weeks with a fish in the tank!

I have debated just pulling them out, but feel I need “something” in there for large particles that get through.

Thoughts? I was thinking cups/floss but maybe I can go cup-less and just fill the bottom of that compartment with floss.....

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate my filtration setup because I don’t know if I am doing more harm than good.

Trigger 39 sump. A handful of bio-balls, and 20-30lbs of live-rock in it. Skimmer...... Algae Scrubber, and the big issue..... Filter-socks!

There is an opening on the top of the first section in the trigger sump where water will come out if it doesn’t drain past/through the filter socks and out the bottom.

I don’t check it that often, but if I had to guess, my filter socks clog enough to have the water redirect to this “overflow” in maybe less than 2 days.

I have one fish..... I’m not feeding that much!!!

The filter socks are the ones that came with the sump, and are only in use maybe 2 months, and maybe 3 weeks with a fish in the tank!

I have debated just pulling them out, but feel I need “something” in there for large particles that get through.

Thoughts? I was thinking cups/floss but maybe I can go cup-less and just fill the bottom of that compartment with floss.....
Your posting is very interesting, something that really caught my attention is the fact that your sock clogs very fast with having only ...one fish? on you tank, hey guys any suggestions here?
Any coral on your tank besides the lonely fish in it? I been considering removing the socks and go back into the bio-balls, even that produce something it's not as bad as having this socks full of bad stuff that caught then before the skimmer, I believe and you guys get me on track but I believe the socks full of junk will produce more harmful bacteria that you notice on the smell of your water , yeah you water that fishy odor and also will raise your phosphates and lower other important things .....

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+I assume you put the caulerpa inside the sump, is that right? also in order to maintain chaeto and caulerpa it's need the light to maintain it.

yes, the caulerpa is in our sump and we're using a Kessil H160 and H80 for lighting.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your posting is very interesting, something that really caught my attention is the fact that your sock clogs very fast with having only ...one fish? on you tank, hey guys any suggestions here?
Any coral on your tank besides the lonely fish in it? I been considering removing the socks and go back into the bio-balls, even that produce something it's not as bad as having this socks full of bad stuff that caught then before the skimmer, I believe and you guys get me on track but I believe the socks full of junk will produce more harmful bacteria that you notice on the smell of your water , yeah you water that fishy odor and also will raise your phosphates and lower other important things .....

Bunch of coral. Some larger softies and frags of other stuff. I feel like I don’t over-feed, and mostly stopped reef roids......

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back