What are you using to scrub algae off your rocks?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
31,106
Reaction score
54,647
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a question for everyone. We are planning on rescaping our tank a little bit and, in the process, removing the algae that has grown on the rocks. What are/have you used to scrape algae off your rocks? I am open to any ideas or suggestions!
 
Toothbrush (or similar but a little larger) in separate bin of saltwater (usually water from water change).

I'd love to see a setup with hand-held pump and hose to suck it off the rocks in DT (without just spreading it everywhere during scrubs) but I've never been able to make anything like that actually work too well for me.
 
Commenting because this is also my tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

We have used toothbrushes in the past, but it doesn't seem to get the job done. This is some very stubborn hair algae. :confused-face:
 
I blow it off with my DIY diatom filter that has a long tube on the outflow that I squeezed and made it into a power washer. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:



I also have a brush like a stiff toothbrush on a long stick that I use to help out the diatom.
 
Toothbrush (or similar but a little larger) in separate bin of saltwater (usually water from water change).

I'd love to see a setup with hand-held pump and hose to suck it off the rocks in DT (without just spreading it everywhere during scrubs) but I've never been able to make anything like that actually work too well for me.
See, this would be amazing if something like this worked. I was using a turkey baster earlier today and was able to get some of the aglae off, but it isn't perfect.
 
Tangs :) I like to grow some good algae then put a few tang friends in there and they go to town!
 
Commenting because this is also my tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

We have used toothbrushes in the past, but it doesn't seem to get the job done. This is some very stubborn hair algae. :confused-face:
Dollabella sea hares work wonders on hair algae
 
Tangs, snails and crabs :)
 
My clean up crew, fox face and tang do all of the work. I have never had to clean my rock in my newest tank. I also started with 90% live rock and 10% live sand





Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek
 
I've got a question for everyone. We are planning on rescaping our tank a little bit and, in the process, removing the algae that has grown on the rocks. What are/have you used to scrape algae off your rocks? I am open to any ideas or suggestions!
Urchins and tangs and snails.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new