What are your favorite RODI units? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a new one.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your favorite RODI units? I'm talking your absolute favorites! I had an old vertex puratek deluxe that gave up the ghost recently. So I'd like to pick up another really good unit. My old one was 200gpd. I'm looking right now at the Icecap unit as it looks really nice. I also know Aquamaxx has revived the old vertex models, but they only have up to 100gpd, so it would be the same as the Icecap. Which ones do you guys like best? What's the Cadillac of RODI units today?
BRS 7 stage 200gpd with booster pump. I strongly suggest a 7 stage as you can never have enough filtration and the cleaner the base water the better. I love mine and it’s an absolute workhorse!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With spectrapure in my backyard, I discovered that their dedication to constantly improving techniques, filters, media, membranes etc has really sold me on their products. Plus I don't know how many of these companies that specialize in water purification for reef tanks have engineers on staff, but I think that's what makes them the hands down favorite for me.
And the owner like to talk reefing. He sometimes comes out to talk to me about the unit and reefing.

Jdubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at https://www.fountainheadwatersystems.com/. I came across them since I’ve restarted a new tank after being out for a few years. I’m impressed with the quality but my water is also only 80 tds out of the tap. I have their 5 stage. Better prices than anywhere else I could find.

Aquaticsole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your favorite RODI units? I'm talking your absolute favorites! I had an old vertex puratek deluxe that gave up the ghost recently. So I'd like to pick up another really good unit. My old one was 200gpd. I'm looking right now at the Icecap unit as it looks really nice. I also know Aquamaxx has revived the old vertex models, but they only have up to 100gpd, so it would be the same as the Icecap. Which ones do you guys like best? What's the Cadillac of RODI units today?
Man I have that icecap shown on the photo for this thread and I'm telling you it changes my reef tank and my life. I kept dealing with algae breakouts until I purchased that. And since my water has been crystal clear and perfect everytime. It reads out every time you make water and tells you tour tds. It's been amazing and the filters that came with it have made a ton of water in comparison to my old rodi. I'll never buy another brand as long as this ones available.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the research labs around here (including mine) use spectrapure for their water, so I bought spectrapure when I got my own system for myself and my aquariums. It's solid.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Spectrapure since the Nineties; so Spectrapure.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned them all over the past 30 years. I use the icecap top of the line with booster pump now. EXCELLENT! After 4 years of continuous running ( I have 6 aquariums, 3 marine and 3 fresh) the booster pump finally died. Ordered a new one for $82 and had it installed in 5 minutes once it arrived. Expect to go another 5 years. 150 gallon a day RO membrane and color changing DI-- who could ask for anything more. In the aquarium world replete with absolutely junk products, Icecap made my decade with something that delivers, lasts and performs as advertised.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I own lol. Aquamaxx deluxe. Reasons were: built it booster pump (never have to worry about my incoming pressure), auto flush (never have to worry about slacking or missing flushes), auto shut off built in (just connect a $10 float to the product water line. No separate auto shut off to buy/install), output TDS built in (I did add a incoming and post membrane tds meter). For most of December and November aquamaxx was 20% off (might still be, don't know). OUTSTANDING value! Nowhere else are you going to get a booster pump, auto shut off, auto flush, tds meter, pressure gauge, low waste water ratio (2 or 3:1) for $254. At full $299 price it's still a good deal.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure, hands down. They bend over backwards to help get the correct setup and customer support never ends. They replaced a 6 month old max cap di for free as it acted plugged, had me open it and send pics and they sent a new one a few days later. Their service is top notch. Helped me figure out a Degas setup for well water even

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs 6 stage is pretty good iv had it 2 years and have not yelled at it yet.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua FX barracuda. Great company, family owned, good people. I have had my barracuda for 5 years and not had an issue. Just change out the battery on the TDS unit.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread but do you mind sharing there solution with us?
Consists of making RO into a 44 gallon brute set on cinder blocks. Large air Stone and commercial air pump in the bottom. Small pump and 1/4" tubing from pump to di cartridges then to a second 44 gallon brute set on the floor. The height was necessary as the small pump had a hard time pushing the last foot of water out of the first brute. I regulate the water through the di at 16 ounces per minute, I believe, at the advice of spectrapure. After a day or two of aeration in the first brute it is pumped to the second, when the first is empty I start making a fresh batch of ro. Rinse and repeat. Year and a half on original membranes and di, except the di they warranted due to packing of the beads. Well over 1000 gallons. Replaced the prefilters/carbon once but realized they didn't need it. Water here is ~ 100-120 ppm. I get a consistent 0-1 ppm from the membrane

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a good ol’ BRS unit. Great Customer Service, easy to get filters, and they work well. As long as you’re getting zero TDS, not too much more to worry about.

I currently have a humble 4 stage (all I could afford after selling 10K in equipment), but prefer a 6 stage.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a good ol’ BRS unit. Great Customer Service, easy to get filters, and they work well. As long as you’re getting zero TDS, not too much more to worry about.

I currently have a humble 4 stage (all I could afford after selling 10K in equipment), but prefer a 6 stage.
10k in equipment? that must be one heck of a ro/di for a 4 stage or am i reading that wrong

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
7 stage BRS unit with an Aquatic Life booster buddie. Had a Spectrapure once and never again. It leaked and customer service was downright terrible. When I asked a question about a competitor, the only thing they could do was bad mouth that competitor. Never once explained why their system was better or even helped me in any way. Threw that unit in the trash and never looked back

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10k in equipment? that must be one heck of a ro/di for a 4 stage or am i reading that wrong
I sold 10k of my equipment....Which leaves my pockets thin.

That’s why I purchased the bare bones 4 stage that I know produces 0 TDS and will get the job done.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back