Perplexed on deaths

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Looking for some insightful feedback for three tragic losses I had. I recently quarantined three fish that I purchased from a local individual who had been holding them for 3 weeks until I got them. One 2.5-3 inch BIOTA tang, 2 1 inch ocellaris clown fish. Had them for a week they were eating on day two. Tang, I've never seen eat nori but I think he nibbled. They only lasted a week before death. No spots, or red gills, but breathing heavily on the six-day. 6 days Tang dead, 7th day one clown.
They were looking great alone on arrival and healthy fat not really but looking good. Not sure how long he had them, should have asked. I had a 20-gallon long setup (new tank) and an old hang-on back filter I had. So here is where I'm lost but pushing back against what I already think happened.

My process:
  • Tank set up with one large live rock I've been curing and has fully cured and been still submerged in water (some Carib sea life rock)
  • I did use some of my main display tank water on my 8-gallon from a water change and some new. So let's say 50/50.
  • My hang on the back filter I use rubble rock that has been in my sump for the bioload. It worked perfectly was able to put a lot in there and it is fully submerged.
  • I used my storage water heater, worked well. But eventually got a small one just for 10-20. Did have to put my hands in the tank but made sure they were clean when I replaced the heater. Also, I do a rigorous hot water rub with no soap.
  • He also gave me two hermits ( I think red hairy, no way are they going in my display tank and a scarlet shrimp that is living in my refugium. All three doing great, imagine that.
  • Ammonia has and always stayed at zero unless I had a bum kit ( Salifert)
There you have it guys give me your feedback. I think I am in denial my tank water did it. I have other fish and a Sailfin that is healthy as a horse, had him when he was 3 inches. He is now 5-6 and thick. My main tank is 2 years old and will be upgrading to 225 next week. One more question, the rock and rubble in the tank. I am scared to add it to my new tank How should I go about curing that rock or making sure nothing is on it? I was thinking of soaking it in RODI water to make sure no parasites are living on it.
Looking for you Q&A's sorry for the rant.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the breathing fast or just heavy? Were the fish in qt or straight to the dt?
Velvet is always a possibility with new fish deaths.

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the breathing fast or just heavy? Were the fish in qt or straight to the dt?
Velvet is always a possibility with new fish deaths.
Yea, they were breathing heavily. They went straight to the quarantine tank when I got them home. The second day and third eating well.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics or videos, it’s hard to say for sure, but given the time frame I’d be leaning towards velvet.
Do you know the conditions they were in before you picked them up?

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics or videos, it’s hard to say for sure, but given the time frame I’d be leaning towards velvet.
Do you know the conditions they were in before you picked them up?
No red gills, no spots, looked like fully preserved specimens. Dang It I should have taken a pic. I do have one clown hanging on, nothing visible. If they don't make it I'll take a pic. I don't think velvet, no rubbing, flashing, and now swiming towards the flow.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, I’d treat the remaining one according to the qt protocol:
This will minimize the disease risk for future fish.
Velvet typically doesn’t even show any spots by the time it kills. Affected fish will commonly swim into flow, but the universal symptom is the fast breathing.
Alternatively, there could be an oxygen issue depending on how aeration in the qt is.

OP
OP
Real McCoy

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be safe, I’d treat the remaining one according to the qt protocol:
This will minimize the disease risk for future fish.
Velvet typically doesn’t even show any spots by the time it kills. Affected fish will commonly swim into flow, but the universal symptom is the fast breathing.
Alternatively, there could be an oxygen issue depending on how aeration in the qt is.

Thanks SB19, I did put have a airstone in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back