What are your favorite RODI units? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a new one.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your favorite RODI units? I'm talking your absolute favorites! I had an old vertex puratek deluxe that gave up the ghost recently. So I'd like to pick up another really good unit. My old one was 200gpd. I'm looking right now at the Icecap unit as it looks really nice. I also know Aquamaxx has revived the old vertex models, but they only have up to 100gpd, so it would be the same as the Icecap. Which ones do you guys like best? What's the Cadillac of RODI units today?

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought one about 4 years ago the Spectrapure was the way to go. I've replaced the resin once and it's still working like a champ. The Maxcap line seemed to be the Cadillac back then.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an express 5 stage system set up in the sink in the garage with city water
i have it for years. I change the filters every 6 months just to make sure the water is really clean. Being I do alot of water changes on my 180 tank. I am thinking of getting another unit to hook up to a well. The water is crystal clear, so I think it should be fine to hook up another rodi unit to it. That would save me alot of money on a water bill.. i too would love to know the best unit.. but for a well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently got an air-ice-water Typhoon 3 and it is fantastic

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Spectrapure. I'm using the MaxCap 2:1 180gpd. Solid performance for a reasonable price. I have really high TDS water (350-400) and it puts out 4 TDS water after the RO without breaking a sweat (99% rejection!!). It's more of a GMC than a Cadillac though. If you want the caddy, go with the Ultra High Efficiency.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectra pure max/cap here, 100gpd plus I added a piggyback to be able to make 200gpd
It is supposed to be 1:1 in the configuration, all I know is there is little to no waste

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 BRS unit, another that was a Kent, but I mostly replaced it's bits with BRS parts, and another generic one. I love the BRS unit and the add-ons, totally happy. Would go BRS for any RO.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With spectrapure in my backyard, I discovered that their dedication to constantly improving techniques, filters, media, membranes etc has really sold me on their products. Plus I don't know how many of these companies that specialize in water purification for reef tanks have engineers on staff, but I think that's what makes them the hands down favorite for me.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love and use the BRS RODI 5 stage + 2 additional universal carbon blocks. Incredible value for the money, and excellent for filtering high chloramines.

If you want Cadillac - go with AquaFX Octopus. Fully customizable, standard booster pump, adjustable waste ratio, up to 300 gpd, and auto flushes membrane before and after use. If I had the $$, this is what I'd buy. Cheers.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean your unit gave up the ghost?

Most RODI systems are modular. If one part goes bad it can get replaced without changing the entire system.
If your pump is dead, replace the pump, if the TDS sensors are bad just replace them.

BRS, Spectrapure, Aquamax, Brand X, All the housings are the same, the water goes in the same, goes through the filters the same and comes out the same. It’s about the filtermedia that makes the difference. If you have a standard housing just upgrade/replace the filters.
You get 200gpd by running two 100gpd RO membranes in parallel. Any unit can get upgraded to a 200. All you need is 2 housings and the appropriate RO membranes. Some times you need a boost pump to get the water pressure up to the 60psi.

Think of it like this, would you buy a new car if all you needed was a new air filter? Since the filter systems are modular and easy to fix single components. If you already have the best system from the time you bought it just fix it. Repairing or fixing the RODI system is as easy as swapping a pump or media on your aquarium. Don’t spend money on items you don’t need.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure here, can't beat there membranes, I run mine with a dual Spectraselect 90GPD configuration, however I do run triple stage BRS Resin so I guess it's a best of both worlds system.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
airwaterice.com (been mfgring since 1982)

Typhoon series

I've had one fir 14 yrs (i think) .... zippo issues with leaks or anything craftsmanship wise. I just keep replacing filters and membranes

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly they're all so similar, brand doesn't really matter to me. It's more about how many stages it has (I like 7 stage)... add-ons like pressure gauges, TDS meters, back flow valve, Mur-loc fittings, and of course most importantly - the actual filter media/cartridges you put in them.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back