What are your nutrient levels?

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering what other sps reefers run their systems at nutrient wise to get their best growth and colors?
I currently run nitrate around 10 and phosphate around .05 but coral color is ok but not great. I also also have some algae on the back glass that never seems to disappear.
To give you some background the system is about 3 years old and started with Marco rock for the first 2 1/2 years and didn’t feel that was the best choice. Had a lot of issues with Cyano and Dino’s and other algaes and many stated they they also had similar problems using Marco. 6 months ago I decided to slowly start over with Caribsea arch rock and things have improved algae wise other than the algae on the back glass.
Kim wondering if my nutrients were higher ( say no3 around 20 and po4 around.1) if things would improve color and growth wise and help burn the algae out?
I’ve watched numerous videos on the subject and have been curious about what others think?
I know the rock is probably still maturing but I’m intrigued with what others run for nutrients and how that affects your system?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering what other sps reefers run their systems at nutrient wise to get their best growth and colors?
I currently run nitrate around 10 and phosphate around .05 but coral color is ok but not great. I also also have some algae on the back glass that never seems to disappear.
To give you some background the system is about 3 years old and started with Marco rock for the first 2 1/2 years and didn’t feel that was the best choice. Had a lot of issues with Cyano and Dino’s and other algaes and many stated they they also had similar problems using Marco. 6 months ago I decided to slowly start over with Caribsea arch rock and things have improved algae wise other than the algae on the back glass.
Kim wondering if my nutrients were higher ( say no3 around 20 and po4 around.1) if things would improve color and growth wise and help burn the algae out?
I’ve watched numerous videos on the subject and have been curious about what others think?
I know the rock is probably still maturing but I’m intrigued with what others run for nutrients and how that affects your system?
Up the po4 and don't worry so much about no3.
If it runs at 10,so be it. Do you dose nitrates?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your parms are fine. If you are not getting the color you want. Then maybe look at tweaking your lights to different spectrum, PAR, etc.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I think this last weekend. My Parms were
Nitrate: 8ppm
Phosphate: .03

I feed tank twice a day. Lots of fish Poo and the corals have amazing color. They are coloring up nicely after adding. I have been recently tweaking my lighting for more color and it looks great IMO. Its all in they eye of the beholder. What is it that you dont link about the colors you are getting.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up the po4 and don't worry so much about no3.
If it runs at 10,so be it. Do you dose nitrates?
Yes I usually dose nitrates weekly. I’ve been testing daily for alkalinity, nitrate and phosphate.
if my nitrates run below 8 I usually dose 60 ml of neonitro. If below say 6 I usually dose 120ml. Total system volume is about 425 gallons.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank likes 10-15 & 0.10-0.15. Currently investigating lower Nitrogen levels.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I usually dose nitrates weekly. I’ve been testing daily for alkalinity, nitrate and phosphate.
if my nitrates run below 8 I usually dose 60 ml of neonitro. If below say 6 I usually dose 120ml. Total system volume is about 425 gallons.
Have you tried upping your feedings? Maybe that can help you stop dosing nitrate.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried upping your feedings? Maybe that can help you stop dosing nitrate.
I have been feeding heavier, adding coral foods as well as adding liquid nitrates. I have more fish coming to be added soon.
I guess what I’m asking is what levels have people used successfully for nutrients, at what levels and what results have they achieved?

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I keep nitrates between 15-20 and phosphates between 0.06-0.1 ppm. I start to lose coral color quickly if phosphates get down to zero. I have a heavy fish load, feed heavy, and still have to dose nitrates daily and phosphates at least weekly.

No mechanical filtration, just a skimmer and a bunch of liverock in a sump keeps my export high enough where I am able to feed the tank more.

Curiousbranching

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Skimmer running 8hrs every days, my Acro will not happy if phosphorus go any lower. Any suggest for lowering NO3 only?
IMG_5526.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient levels are a snapshot of where they are when tested. Uptake tells an entirely different story, figure out your consumption, then find a target for consistency.

Last edited:

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Skimmer running 8hrs every days, my Acro will not happy if phosphorus go any lower. Any suggest for lowering NO3 only?
IMG_5526.jpeg
I’m in the same boat as you, my skimmer will lower my nutrients too much if left unchecked.

The downside to only running the skimmer part time is it lowers your tank’s PH.

Why not lower the water level in the skimmer so that it skims very little and very dry?

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t measured NO3 and PO4 in months. Last I measured NO3 was 2 and PO4 was 0.03 using Salifert. Nowadays I’m able to gauge nutrients by how my corals and tank as a whole are doing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back