what are your tank parameters?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to see what everyone elses tank parameters are. And what they are using for mechanical and chemical filtration. And what bioloads are in there tank. Also, what percentage of your tank is zoas/sps etc.

45g total system volume
Bioload: 1 clownfish, 1 skunk cleaner
Cleaners: ~20 Tonga Jumbo Nasarius
~5 astreas
~3 margaritas
- 1 queen conch (small 1" guy)
- 1 tiger sand conch
- 1 hitchiker urchin (1")
- 1 small blue leg hermit

NH3/NO3/NO2 = 0
PH = ~8.2'ish
CA = 380-450
Alk = ~10
PO4 = says 0, but i doubt this due to hair algae probs.
MG = no idea, although i'm sure its low since i've NEVER tested it.

I lose about 1g per day due to evap. Every other day I dose 2 tsp of baking soda into the tank to keep my alk at 10dkh (goes down to about 7dkh on day 2).

I run a CPR bakpak that only makes some wet skimmate since i have a low bioload. I also run some PhosBan in a canister filter, but it doesn't seem to help the algae any.

I know I need a more thorough clean up crew to keep the algae down. My silicates are supposedly 0, I had a friend test it with a salifert test kit.

Any ideas on keeping my hair algae under control? It isn't too bad of a problem at the moment. But i'm trying to be proactive, rather than have to be retroactive and lose and uphill battle.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12g JBJ Nano w/ 96w Quad PC lighting
Bioload: paired Black Oscellaries clowns
Cleaners: 7 small blue leg hermit

will be testing for water parameters but here's what I test and look for daily.. temp fluctuates from 76 ish to 80 ish in 9 hour photoperiod... salinity hovers around 1.023 - 1.025

I lose about .25g per day due to evap. Every other day I dose Reef Plus. I also feed phyto, Coral Frenzy, and mysis w/ Garlic every other day..

I run a Prizm HOB skimmer. I do water change every 7-10 days depending on work load in the office.. ;)

zoas take about 40%-50% of the tank...

Marvin

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back