OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it for 6 weeks including the yellow sno as directed and it had no effects on either N03 or P04. Not a single 100th of a point of reduction. I know 6 weeks isn't long but with other bacterial products I've at least seen seem some type of reduction by this time.

I had high hopes it would be the one bacteria that would be better at sequestering P04 but it was a bust.

There are many commercial bacteria products that are a lot less and do well with nitrates but not so with P04, so my search continues.

Maybe in conjunction with a carbon dosing regime it would work better but I can get that with the less expensive products.
What's your tank setup like? IIRC, it'll do best in lit anaerobic zones, like the upper layers of the sand bed, so if you're running bare bottom that may be one issue. It supposedly works well in conjunction with carbon dosing, so that's another option worth checking out. I run biopellets, have never bothered with vodka or other liquid methods, so that might be worth looking into. A skimmer is also pretty much a must. I know most people run skimmers, but I still had to ask. Without one, there's no w ay for the nutrient laden bacteria to be removed from the system.
I do agree that it's one of the pricier options out there. I'm a cheapskate, so it was a little painful buying this product lol. But they're still a relatively small company, so hopefully as they grow they can scale up production accordingly to eventually lower cost

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i ask why you think its mandatory to run a skimmer? i have it on a skimmerless system. And, wondering what downside this could cause.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i ask why you think its mandatory to run a skimmer? i have it on a skimmerless system. And, wondering what downside this could cause.

The skimmer is must for bacteria focused nutrient export(carbon dosing). The gist of it is that bacteria consume nitrate and some phosphate and are eventually skimmed out of the system, effectively removing those nutrients to the skimmer cup. Adding biopellets or vodka or whatever drastically speeds up the growth of bacteria, but this process will occur at some rate whether you dose carbon or not.

Without a skimmer, the bacteria are never removed from the system in any way. So, they take in your nitrate and phosphate, go through their life cycle, then die and release it back into the tank. By adding these bacteria, you aren't adding much in terms of nutrients, but you aren't taking any away either.

The plus side is they will sequester some amount of nutrients, maybe slightly lowering it, but it is never removed from the tank so it is more or less a net zero effect. However, these bacteria do act as a coral food/symbiont, plus they probably get eaten by pods and other organisms in the tank. So while you aren't really achieving nutrient removal with it, you are diversifying the microbiome which helps convert some of these nutrients into food for higher order organisms.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ok. I do daily 5% water changes (Nano tank). So I guess I’m covered on bacteria export.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my phosphates were at 3.4 and my Nitrates were 73 post water change in my seahorse tank. Turned skimmers off and dosed Thursday night. Kept skimmers off overnight and fed seahorses in AM. Took water sample around 2 hrs post meal and tested again. My Phosphates had dropped from 3.7 to 3.4 and Nitrates rose slightly. Turned skimmer on and took water Sunday morning to test and my phospahtes came back at 0 and Nitrates were at 10 :) Did the skimmer take up the bacteria after it ate the phosphate? We did retest 3 times. Pretty amazed. Now were testing to see how often I will be needing to dose.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my phosphates were at 3.4 and my Nitrates were 73 post water change in my seahorse tank. Turned skimmers off and dosed Thursday night. Kept skimmers off overnight and fed seahorses in AM. Took water sample around 2 hrs post meal and tested again. My Phosphates had dropped from 3.7 to 3.4 and Nitrates rose slightly. Turned skimmer on and took water Sunday morning to test and my phospahtes came back at 0 and Nitrates were at 10 :) Did the skimmer take up the bacteria after it ate the phosphate? We did retest 3 times. Pretty amazed. Now were testing to see how often I will be needing to dose.
Wow, thanks for all the details. Yes, it's certainly possible that most of the PO4 was exported via the skimmer. These bacteria are phosphate accumulators, and thus can take up much more PO4 than they require for growth, and do so in short time.

Were these high nutrient levels a persistent issue, or did they creep up and spike shortly before the addition of the bacteria? Do you have any anaerobic biomedia in the system (perhaps including a deep sand bed)?

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested today and phosphates rose to 1.5. I feed insane amounts of food a day. 50 seahorses eat a lot daily. I do have a deep sand bed, say about 8 inches deep as we have garden eels in there as well. Aquachar too but it changed with the PNS probio for sure. Only thing
I changed. I’ll be testing tomorrow to see where we’re at. Experiment will be on hold as we travel to NY Thursday until next Tuesday. Stuffs great and smell wasn’t sulfur bad

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested today and phosphates rose to 1.5. I feed insane amounts of food a day. 50 seahorses eat a lot daily. I do have a deep sand bed, say about 8 inches deep as we have garden eels in there as well. Aquachar too but it changed with the PNS probio for sure. Only thing
I changed. I’ll be testing tomorrow to see where we’re at. Experiment will be on hold as we travel to NY Thursday until next Tuesday. Stuffs great and smell wasn’t sulfur bad
Oh, nice, yes, these bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas spp.) and their relatives (the Bradyrhizobiaceae) apparently perform really well on biochar. Check out this study comparing biochar to Hagen Biomax as biomedia. Fresh Aquachar has an internal pH that is high enough to inhibit their growth, but mature Aquachar might be an excellent medium (in addition to your sandbed). Thanks again for all the details. :)

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update as it’s 5 am and dont have the capacity to write up a ton right now :p

I’ve been dosing about a month now. I’ve slowed down from every other day to about 1-2 doses per week. My GHA died back heavily at first, but has regained some vigor since reducing the dose.
I haven’t had to scrape the glass for the entire month though! Film algae is all but gone. However instead of green, I’m starting to get a grayish film on the glass, bacterial I’m assuming.

the corals have been happier than ever. Growth has been strong, polyp extension is great. My cyphastrea that hasn’t grown in a year is finally spreading a bit and a bleached scoly from another tank has regained a ton of color. My tank all around is looking much cleaner and I couldn’t be happier with the product!
I’ll post some update photos after work when the lights turn on.

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D11AF4C-8C47-4A46-9EE5-6A8418099AA9.jpeg
81A2620B-284B-4F1D-BC8A-EACFC9F50777.jpeg DED1A56D-B82D-4EA0-954C-4041B5DCEB50.jpeg

1st pic of the scoly was Sept 22, 2nd pic was today. It has majorly recovered in the tank during this last month.
Threw in a blurry FTP(sorry dirty lens :p )
I just sold a large rock and threw in some dry pieces I had collected on a trip, so the left half of the tank is a little wonky right now, still need things to settle and grow in. But all in all, besides the GHA, the tank has been VERY happy

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the stuff. I use 4 oz every other day between 3 tanks ,2 60 gallon systems and a 160 gallon system. I only need to scraped the glass once a week twice at the most. Helps keep PO4 low all 3 tanks @ about .04 -.06 ppm.
I use the home grow kits and produce 2.5 gallons at a times. Here is a shot of the growing system.
646FC081-1DFF-42CF-9980-3E9247BAD606.jpeg
C2A2532B-75FB-48EB-94B0-2805BD06F029.jpeg
Where do you purchase the home grow kits?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you purchase the home grow kits?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back