What are your top 10 favorite Acropora right now?!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly, I wasn’t expecting the classics to get so much attention in this thread! Nothing wrong with it, I just find peoples preferences interesting :p

Maybe I need to mature a bit more as a Reefer to be able to appreciate these daylight specimens / spectrum :zany-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:
I'm really not into the crazy names. Different vendors call the same coral different names, it's confusing and I can't keep track anyways.
I put coral in my tank and after a couple years I can't remember the name anyway.
I prefer more day light spectrum but I do go thru the whole sunrise/sunset, and do like the florescents during those times.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly, I wasn’t expecting the classics to get so much attention in this thread! Nothing wrong with it, I just find peoples preferences interesting :p

Maybe I need to mature a bit more as a Reefer to be able to appreciate these daylight specimens / spectrum :zany-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Tried and true classics! We didn’t have leds or blue lights besides t5 or vho… the old school pieces looked great under 10k halides with vho actinics.
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_0415.jpeg

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there are easily 10 amazing rainbow tenuis out there that would be in anyone's top ten. I'm really getting into the smooth skin/deep water acros and anacros.
*Not my pictures, graciously borrowed from google.*

blue dragon.jpeg green dragon acro.jpeg red dragon.jpeg pac man acro.jpg red ferrari acro.jpeg snow dragon acro.jpeg jawdropper acro.jpg afterparty.jpeg hawkins acro.jpeg golden rod acro.jpeg acropora-carduus-dragon-7.jpg

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it more so has to do with the era in which many started this hobby. If you’ve kept and grown out corals in a warmer daylight spectrum I think you tend to appreciate those colors. Vendors, LFS, hobbyist used to all run warmer spectrum so that’s how you expected a coral to look.

Nowadays everything is sold and marketed under blue light so newer hobbyists are drawn to that style of lighting/corals and they expect them to look the same.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a daytime guy and here are my favorites:

1. SCOP (yellow polyp/blue body 100% all time favorite)
2. Oregon Tort (the best blue)
3. Pink Floyd - dig the red polyp/yellow combo
4. Pink Cadillac- blue polyps
5. ASD mille- bright, beautiful
6. BigR WD- to put it plainly, a classic THE rainbow tenuis (if it isn’t bigr- it isn’t a wd)
7. Pearlberry- dig the blue contrasts
8. Rainbow Loom - green gold fading to pink/purple tips
9 bonsai- no coral like it
10 fox flame - cool yellow tip

Honorable mentions
- strawberry shortcake
-pink lemonade
-exquisita stag
-my awesome noname spath

Someguyfromsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be the original wet thumbs TDF , wet thumbs MOP , jkr rainbow . Sc orange passion, rr USA Pink Floyd , rr USA wolverine . Asd rainbow milli . Tyree red dragon . Golden dragon, cherry bomb , and my always favorite pink lemonade . so many great acros . Sure this list is outdated but haven’t started collecting acros much after taking a 6 year break . But this list was fire 6 years ago lol

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. BigR Walt Disney
2. JF Homewrecker
3. JF Foxflame
4. Pretty much any Speciosa
5. Pick your favorite bali lokani (some crazy rainbow stuff coming from there!)
6. Pick your favorite bali lorises (same as above)
7. Rainbow Splice
8. ORA Tricolor Valida (my colony really means something to me at this point, and I love the shape it has).
9. This maricultured colony of mine:

1000007812.jpg

10. SBB Bling Bling

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all the classics and a lot of the aforementioned blue lighters. Sbb scooby doo and dragon Coaster are stunners. I find most enjoyment out of no namers just to see what they turn into. My tank is blue though. Some look much nicer under white like tort for sure

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of new pieces that are nice. There is no doubt about that, I just 1) dont run a super blue tank, 2) have found that under all blue pictures Many of the corals look 90% or more similar. That is where it gets tricky and frustrating. Some of the pictures online are misleading to buyers in what the real colors are. therefore, you end up with 3-4 pieces that look identical in your tank. So, while I do enjoy some of crazy colored sticks- I prefer to enjoy them in someone else’s tank. Lol

corey

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ten favorite is hard. I have some memorable colonies that were grown out from frags. ORA blue and rose Mille, red planet, scrips, Christmas Mirabilis, Gomezi, torts, hoeksemai, granulosa, there’s ten but plenty more.
I reset the tank and starting over. Excited about some of the frags to see how they grow out.
TSA harvey wallbanger
TSA four loco
Tierra del Fuego
Green, purple slimer, purple in front of green, may grab blue as well.
Rr grape juice
Raspberry cheesecake
A bunch of cultured nubs that are coloring up.
ORA has some releases that are not on the website yet. I can’t remember all the names but the MIMF purple gem, scorchin torch and two more. Plus the rainbow stylo looked bad butt.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I know there have been threads on this topic in the past, but recent ones have been species specific (i.e. tenuis) or started a long time ago /inactive.

So I just ask... Top 10 favorite acropora - it's totally subjective so I will not name criteria. Just simply what do you like? Can be because they're old school, nice-looking, hearty, rare, or whatever.

Here's mine!

TUSI Rainbow Granulosa
POTO Scorpion
BC Bellicose Trobairitz
POTO Enigma
RMF Red Devil Nasuta
SBB Prom Queen (CC Pink Highlighter?)
Bill Murray
POTO Endgame
SC Orange Passion
BKChem Creme de la Crème

Sorry if this thread is annoying :zany-face:

Would love to hear what other people are eyeing these days!

Charlie
Not annoying at all, but would have liked to see pictures.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me also interesting would be what are your top 10 favorite DAYLIGHT acropora!
I am looking for daylight acros with nice colors.
I have a westside tort that looks awesome in daylight

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a fun topic! I’ve been in the hobby since 1991, so I love both old school corals as well as newer popular pieces. In no particular order I would have to include these in my top 10 -

RRC Rainbow Splice
RRC Rainbow Splice POTM close up.jpg

Hung's Rainbow Explosion
CRT Hungs Rainbow Explosion-2.jpg

EA Tropical Sunshine Hyper Intense Tenuis
EA T****-2130006.jpg

Vivids Insanity
Vivids Insanity-04794.jpg

WWC King Fiji
WWC King Fiji--2.jpg

CC Flaming Sunrise
CC Flaming Sunrise (1 of 1).jpg

EA Prestige Worldwide
EA Prestige Worldwide.jpg

BigR Walt Disney
BigR Walt Disney-2.jpg

OG RRU Angry Birds (not the one they sell now)
RRU Angry Birds - Sabellafella (1 of 1).jpg

SBB Purplicious
SBB Purplicious-2130004.jpg

Honorable Mention:

Vivids Confetti
Vivids Confetti.jpg

TGC Inner Core
TGC Inner Core-04836.jpg

JF Homewrecker
Jason Fox Homewrecker (1 of 1).jpg

BigR Candyland
BigR Candyland.jpg

BC Laser Melon
BC Laser Melon-04867.jpg

OG Oregon Tort
Oregon Tort.jpg

Bali Green Slimer (I know it's common, but when it gets to this size it's quite impressive!)
Bali Green Slimer.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back