What ate my Tridacna?

CaptainNemo68

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- new member here. This morning I found my 6 year old Tridacna is now just an empty shell! Anyone know what may have happened? The other day it was a happy, healthy (I think) 7 inch long clam with nothing out of the ordinary as far as I could tell. Today its gone! Tank is a 250 gallon reef tank - fish inverts coral and live rock. I'm wondering if perhaps one (or all!) of my 4 or 5 brittle stars may have gotten hungry. Ordinarily I wouldnt think so, but I lost a small wrass last week and one of the brittle stars (I think) ate it! so Im thinking they are capable of this dastardly deed and may have "acquired a taste for things other than the pellets I normally feed them. Anyone have a similar experience? Its a shame cause the clam came in as a 1 inch specimen ad has grown into a really nice 6 or 7 incher.
 
I don’t know much about Tridacna clams, though did you find the shell coated in transparent slime?
 
Large brittle stars are carnivores and will eat a lot of things. I don't think I would ever keep one in a reef tank. Was the clam growing? New white shell growth on the upper margins of the shell?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new