what can i breed in a 5 gallon tank?

SteamReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish that come to mind for a 5-gallon tank are small gobies and clownfish, but even then, a 5-gallon is quite small. Ideally, it is best to use a 10-gallon tank (much more stable parameters); additionally, 10 gallon tanks don't cost that much more than a 5-gallon tank at Petco or Petsmart

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW Neocaridina (cherry) shrimp come in a bunch of nice colors, not just red, and would build up a nice population in a 5 gal. Stick with one color, and you can sell the best ones back to your lfs. If you mix colors, it's interesting, but they will, over several generations, all be kind of brown.

Struggle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Caridina shrimp, they’re freshwater but are absolutely beautiful. We have (8) tanks of them and are cycling (10) more. There are also competitions that you can enter them in. This year we entered into all of the Aquashella shrimp competitions and thoroughly enjoyed it. For the most part they breed true and don’t throw wild types.

OP
OP
Piscans

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could i put like 2 trios of neon gobies in there, breed them, then stick em in the other tank?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could i put like 2 trios of neon gobies in there, breed them, then stick em in the other tank?
No! Male neon gobies are very territorial. The dominant male will harass and kill all other males. I currently have several in a 40 B and there is constant fighting. On the other hand, if you do get a pair, they will breed.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine shrimp in green water to feed the others but guppies will breed in there as well as mollies and both can be converted to salt. Mollies being in higher demand assuming you don’t just plan on keeping everything. An outlet for the offsprings might be the first consideration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back