Its brown algea. It is all over the place. I have a 75 Fowlr

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you get a photo? Is it slimy, will it blow off with a turkey baster?

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hairy on the filter. It not on the glass.

Mirelyght

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has your tank been running, what kind of fish do you have, how often have you been feeding them?

Mirelyght

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see a way to edit my post so i'll post another question. since its fish only...how long have you been leaving your lights on for each day?

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights stay on while im at work so about 8 hours a day. I'm not really sure on my lighting yet. I have one damsel. The other one died. My tank just cycled about two weeks ago. Its been running for about two months.

Mirelyght

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll start with a disclaimer....i don't even have my tank up and running yet...what i do have is 10 years worth of research based on what others have experienced but i'm sure someone else will post an experienced reefer's opinion.

this sounds pretty standard for the new cycling of a tank....if you only have fish in it right now you can use less light and soon you'll be able to introduce a clean up crew. in the meantime you might be able to physically remove some of the algae either by hand or by using a turkey baster. i don't honestly know what type of algae it is (doesn't sound like cyano because of the color?) but at some point if it persists and because you have a 75 gallon then a Tang might help out if its the kind of algae that tangs eat...i hear they are voracious and will clean out a tank of the edible stuff pretty quick.

however thats a ways off because you're still cycling it from what i understand. you'll prolly be introducing snails before you get to the tang. i hope this helps.

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information. I have some anails in there but i had to do a water change. When i cleaned the back of the tank it was all over the crushed coral so i did a ten gallon water change to clean the bottom.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be diatoms. This is normal for this stage of the game in having a saltwater tank. How many snails are in the tank?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having brown algae is a fairly standard phase a tank goes through as it matures. I went through it, as did many of us. So, don't let it get you down, it can be part of the process. If you have one fish and no coral at this point, one thing you can do is cut way back on the light hours for now. Not much in your tank needs light for very many hours. You can even turn them out for a few days with no bad results. With this knowledge you can control that brown mess as the tank matures. In the mean time acquire enough live rock, a skimmer and etc if you have not yet. ;)

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will back down on the light. I have 4 snails and 5 hermit crabs. The only problem with not having the light on is my fish is always in sleep mode.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a hair algae problem I ran kents phosphate sponge and it cleared it up with in a week. Just follow the instructions on the container and you'll see a quick change. Granted what your going through is normal but to speed it along and help get rid of it you can run something for phosphates.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run anything but natural stuff. This sounds like its a normal part of your tank cycling especially if your lacking in a CUC and a skimmer. Without coral PO4 is not really cause for too much concern however if the problem persists then I would search out the cause and try and fix it. I would give it some time, get some more snails and invest in a skimmer. In the first month I got a skimmer and if I could pick 1 piece of equipment that was more than worth its money it was my ASM mini-g. Saved me many algae problem IMO. Good luck!

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your help. What kind of clean up crew fish should i get that's hardy?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for your help. What kind of clean up crew fish should i get that's hardy?

go here Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae and e-mail or call with your tank size, age, stock, filter methods, tank type, etc.. he will do you right!!!! and solve that question as a pro!

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like the normal process all new tanks have. Are you using RODI water?

OP
OP
reefchaser

reefchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm not using ro water. I'm using tap right now. I am going to buy some ro water this weekend. Thanks for the site. I will check him out. Do you think i should wait a little bit longer before i put anything else in there?

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until your topping off and doing w/c's with RODI, tap water is really unpredictable especially if you plan to keep corals and the less contaminates your putting into your tank the better. And get your water tested at a LFS, run a poly filter pad if your using tap water some can contain traces of copper or other heavy metals which are NOT good in almost all cases. RO/DI is your best friend.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back