What can I do to keep Anthias alive?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want anthias fish. I really appreciate their hot pink coloration.

I’ve had them about 1 year ago with once feedings a day with frozen…none survived.

I currently have 4 anthias and I feed about 4-5 times a day with frozen LRS.

I’m thinking of having an auto feeder for the tank but I don’t like pellet foods because they either float straight to the sandbed or they float to the overflow. There’s no middle ground. The fish don’t eat it.

I noticed my fish like when the food is in the middle of the current.

Can flakes help my dilemma? Or if I stick with frozen, what’s the best number of feedings?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a number of anthias species. Lyretail are one of the easiest. Dispar are pretty easy too. They'll need to eat 3-4 times a day.

I kept my group of dispar/ignitus for about 5 years. I used an eheim auto feeder with 1 mm NLS pellets. The key is to have the feeder drop the food into a feeding ring placed above a powerhead. This keeps them from going down the overflow. Once they've saturated enough to sink, they drop into the powerhead and get blown across the tank. As you mentioned, anthias want to catch food in the current, not pick it off the substrate.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 2 times a day with mysis

never had a issue

I have 3 different kinds too.
Have 17 total 3 died. Sometimes the weakest will die off over time had mine for 5 years

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dispars were picky at first but finally started eating when I offered can ‘o cyclops. They now also eat frozen mysis. I feed them twice a day.

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sunburst and only feed once a day. Have had them for about a year now no problems.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Sunburst Anthias. I broadcast feed the tank twice a day 4 cubes. (or that equivalent) Mysis, Enriched Briny, and my own homemade mix of clams, oysters, and shrimp. My one CBB also demands more than one feeding a day. Recent photo of one.
7DEDD8E2-C0B4-4436-A6D2-31C1F6C021DA.jpeg

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyrtail's are pretty easy to keep. I fed whatever (frozen, pellets...I don't do flakes ever unless I decide to get into goldfish) a few times a day. Main thing is large enough tank, the right amount of them and the right sex to have. I had 1 male and 3 females in a 6ft tank.They ate like pigs and outlasted the tank. I would suggest a group of at least three with one male to keep the females from jocking for hierarchy. If you don't have swimming room or enough for a small group it's not the fish for you (even though lyrtail's are easy enough to keep singular in a smaller setting).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back