What can you use to transfer saltwater in?

jwilt423

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is kinda weird but I have to move aquarium out of my house for 6 hours because we are struggling with fleas bad and we hired an exterminator to come in and fumigat the house and they said we have to remove the aquariums out side while there doing it. So my question is what can I use to put my 55 gallon tank water in so I can get them out and not to stress all of my fish and corals out?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Rubbermaid stock tank from a local farm store is a common choice.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 125 gallon 50 miles in a few of these. They are like $10.00 and hold 30 gallons.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon food safe buckets from tractor supply are like 6 bucks...i use them for storing RO/DI, mixing new saltwater and just about everything else including moving my tank 600 miles from NY to NC

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRT the fleas: We went through this a number of years ago. I'm not sure how they first got into the house, but with 3 indoor cats the flea population exploded.

We fought it for weeks. Had the cats quarantined on a 4-season porch. Literally bagged up anything soft that wasn't critical to daily life. Threw away the living room furniture. Vacuuming twice a day, treating with powders, sprays, and bug bombs constantly. Still every morning I would walk around with some white socks on as a test and find several fleas clinging to my feet. It was a nightmare.

I finally started reading about the flea life cycle and how flea meds for pets work. IIRC, the meds sterilize the fleas, and they die out after a couple of generations. In desperation we let the cats, which had been medicated by this time, back into the house as bait. The fleas were gone in a few days.

Good luck!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Rubbermaid stock tank from a local farm store is a common choice.
This is what I would use. You could put everything in one outside or in the garage and wrap the tank up in plastic and leave it in the house. They also make awesome QT or emergency hospital tanks as well as swimming pools for dogs :winking-face:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my question is kinda weird but I have to move aquarium out of my house for 6 hours because we are struggling with fleas bad and we hired an exterminator to come in and fumigat the house and they said we have to remove the aquariums out side while there doing it. So my question is what can I use to put my 55 gallon tank water in so I can get them out and not to stress all of my fish and corals out?
A brute can is widely used but you can also utilize buckets and pails saving some water and making new which will be equal to a major water change.
You cover the tank with a tarp and then moving blankets which will absorb the atmospheric mist. If there is a sump underneath- this is then not really an option.
Buckets and pails are easier to bring into house than a brute can but can be filled from the brute can. Just rinse what ever container you decide to use before adding tank water to it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back