What carbon source in NP Bacto Balance?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of carbon source does NP Bacto Balance from Tropic Marin use?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask Lou? He has always responded to my e-mail questions.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou did an interview with Devon at Reef Dudes and described the organic bio polymer used I believe. Let me see if I can locate it.

Found it.......The carbon source is from seaweed in NP Bacto Balance.

Last edited:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The natural salt water polymer derived from seaweed is in the Reef Actif NOT the NP BACTO Balance. The NP BACTO Balance is a medium short polymer that has advantages over the monomers like vodka (alcohol), vinegar and sugars. But it is not the one from seaweed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The natural salt water polymer derived from seaweed is in the Reef Actif NOT the NP BACTO Balance. The NP BACTO Balance is a medium short polymer that has advantages over the monomers like vodka (alcohol), vinegar and sugars. But it is not the one from seaweed.

Thanks, Lou.

Can you expand on those advantages?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to know the advantages as well.

Has anyone complained about STN/RTN in acros with this carbon source? I know carbon dosing vodka/vinegar can be hit or miss with some acro keepers, at least anecdotally.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Lou.

Can you expand on those advantages?
My understanding, as it has been explained to me by my team in Germany, is that most (not exclusively but most) of the algae and bacterial critters that we would prefer NOT to grow in our systems, have much better mechanisms for utilizing monomers than anything that is longer carbon chains. They just don't have good ability to break those longer chains down to the monomers they need. While the good guys (algae and bacteria) that are helpful to us have much better mechanisms for breaking those longer chains down to the monomers they utilize. So if you add mostly carbon chains that are more than monomers, you "target" and focus that nutrition on the beneficial critters we like to see multiply and help our closed tank system biome.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to know the advantages as well.

Has anyone complained about STN/RTN in acros with this carbon source? I know carbon dosing vodka/vinegar can be hit or miss with some acro keepers, at least anecdotally.
Have you switched from your daily diy vodka/vinegar carbon solution?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you switched from your daily diy vodka/vinegar carbon solution?
I did the DIY vodka/vinegar mix. I didn’t see any problems but I stopped it because I read a few posts of people getting STN from it.

I know SunnyX uses NPBacto with really good results. I was honestly just curious about what was in it.

I don’t really plan on using any carbon dosing since I can manage my nutrients well without it. I was mainly just curious about the ingredients.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the DIY vodka/vinegar mix. I didn’t see any problems but I stopped it because I read a few posts of people getting STN from it.

I know SunnyX uses NPBacto with really good results. I was honestly just curious about what was in it.

I don’t really plan on using any carbon dosing since I can manage my nutrients well without it. I was mainly just curious about the ingredients.
For me, the real purpose of the carbon dosing has much more to do with the availability of PO4 for your corals, than it does with the nutrient reduction. But that is just my opinion.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the real purpose of the carbon dosing has much more to do with the availability of PO4 for your corals, than it does with the nutrient reduction. But that is just my opinion.
Exactly the point to using a product like bacto balance, or in my case i often use plus +np.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding, as it has been explained to me by my team in Germany, is that most (not exclusively but most) of the algae and bacterial critters that we would prefer NOT to grow in our systems, have much better mechanisms for utilizing monomers than anything that is longer carbon chains. They just don't have good ability to break those longer chains down to the monomers they need. While the good guys (algae and bacteria) that are helpful to us have much better mechanisms for breaking those longer chains down to the monomers they utilize. So if you add mostly carbon chains that are more than monomers, you "target" and focus that nutrition on the beneficial critters we like to see multiply and help our closed tank system biome.

OK, thanks Lou!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Np bacto balance is adding organic nutrients wile at the same time reducing inorganic nutrients with Doc. Is in your opinion DON more easily assimilated by coral Vs DIN?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back