What contribute phosphate the most?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday I got 0.031 Phosphate on Hanna checker. Today my Phosphate level is 0.083. What contribute to Phosphate level the most? Is to pellets, frozen, or various coral foods such as reef roids, polyp booster and etc?

I have been frozen more than pellets for fish. I also feed my corals using reefroids and pellets and some other coral vitamin at least two times between Saturday and today.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday I got 0.031 Phosphate on Hanna checker. Today my Phosphate level is 0.083. What contribute to Phosphate level the most? Is to pellets, frozen, or various coral foods such as reef roids, polyp booster and etc?

I have been frozen more than pellets for fish. I also feed my corals using reefroids and pellets and some other coral vitamin at least two times between Saturday and today.
I have zero issues with RR and I’ve target fed and done a broad tank feed in a 13.5 gal I run seachem phosguard though just to make sure nothing breaks out.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I only use a pinch of reefroids usually as my tank is not fully stocked yet.
Also, I got this result is while I am running GFO
So can you give me a detailed amount you fed as far as total food between now and when it was 0.31. Also what size tank are we talking and bio load... This all makes sense when you configure it.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you give me a detailed amount you fed as far as total food between now and when it was 0.31. Also what size tank are we talking and bio load... This all makes sense when you configure it.
Honestly just like most people I don’t weigh or measure the food down to grams. I feed fish twice per day. Half of teaspoon of frozen food and a small pinch of flakes or pellets in the morning, and the same in the evening. For coral between Saturday to today. I feed twice which consists of a tiny pinch of reefroids mix with polylabs polyps boaster, few drops of reef nutrition phytoplankton, a small drop of fauna Marin natural plankton, few drops of brightwell amino omega, few drops of brightwell vitamarin-m, and 10 ml of red sea ab +. I direct feed the corals.

tank size is 66 gallons total with 11 fish and several corals and few anemones. If you look at my build thread you can see the FTS to give the idea of my tank bio-load.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly just like most people I don’t weigh or measure the food down to grams. I feed fish twice per day. Half of teaspoon of frozen food and a small pinch of flakes or pellets in the morning, and the same in the evening. For coral between Saturday to today. I feed twice which consists of a tiny pinch of reefroids mix with polylabs polyps boaster, few drops of reef nutrition phytoplankton, a small drop of fauna Marin natural plankton, few drops of brightwell amino omega, few drops of brightwell vitamarin-m, and 10 ml of red sea ab +. I direct feed the corals.

tank size is 66 gallons total with 11 fish and several corals and few anemones. If you look at my build thread you can see the FTS to give the idea of my tank bio-load.
Oh ok, maybe just cut back to once a day and see what that does, also clean your sump up really good if possible.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids.
I did a 30 day experiment with them and saw my Po4 rise even with GFO.

I just did another test last week. I dosed about 2 teaspoons in my 180 that normally runs about .44 Po4. I waited 2 hours and tested w/ my hanna checker and it was .77. It went back down in a day or so.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoroughly rinse things like frozen Mysis, frozen Bloodworms, or any other number of frozen foods into a container of water and watch the nasty crud that was 'ABOUT' to go into your tank, to needlessly overwork your filtration system! o_O

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chemipure Elite will lower phosphate and keep it in check.
Phosphates (PO4) can be created within the closed aquatic system or imported from the outside. Phosphate is a by-product of mineralization of dead matter such as plants, bacteria, feces, uneaten food, fish slime etc. are all internal contributors. Even some sea salts and water source can produce phosphates. All living organism contain phosphorus. Phosphorus is an important element of life as a component for cell membranes, as an energy source, and for other bio-chemical processes.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids.
I did a 30 day experiment with them and saw my Po4 rise even with GFO.

I just did another test last week. I dosed about 2 teaspoons in my 180 that normally runs about .44 Po4. I waited 2 hours and tested w/ my hanna checker and it was .77. It went back down in a day or so.
You did eh? I am going to try not to feed my coral for a week and just let the eat fish poop and see how it goes and will report back

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImHO, you can't only look at how much P is in the food you put in and compare to what others put in to determine if yiu are putting in "too much" for your high Po4 issue. Tank consumption is the other half of the equation that needs to be factored in. Newer/immature tanks generally consume lower P bc things like corals and algae are usually low p absorbers. Mature/diverse biomes often contain more high P eaters.

I feed 1.5 teaspone of reef roid into roidpaste and target feed my 29g system every other day. Po4 never gets above 0.01ppm and I'm actually having a hard time raising. Its a 4 year system so I know its not being locked up in rocks.

As you can see it all depends on what your own tank absorbs - half a tea spoon may be too high, or 1.5 tea spoon may be too low.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoroughly rinse things like frozen Mysis, frozen Bloodworms, or any other number of frozen foods into a container of water and watch the nasty crud that was 'ABOUT' to go into your tank, to needlessly overwork your filtration system! o_O
I don’t rinse them. However I fortified them by adding different type of vitamin and food enhancer on it and let it soaked

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back