What Coral do I have

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up for $10 at my hardware store that for whatever reason sells Saltwater.

Person working tonight didn’t know what coral it was. Basically my thought was $10, is green and glows lol.

Thanks!

IMG_3467.jpeg IMG_3464.jpeg

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up for $10 at my hardware store that for whatever reason sells Saltwater.

Person working tonight didn’t know what coral it was. Basically my thought was $10, is green and glows lol.

Thanks!

Cyphastrea low light medium flow no need to feed if your stocked well.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

We’re do you live because that is my kind of hardware store haha.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started keeping salt water in college. At that time this guy had a mostly fish store in the basement of his dads Ace Hardware. We would buy cheap broken tanks from the distributor and go upstairs and cut new glass and silicone the new panels in. I think I had 9 or 11 tanks in my tiny college apartment, ranging from 20 to 55 gallons. On the smaller tanks I ran undergravel filters with powerheads on the bigger tanks we added homemade wet/dry filter systems that we made from broken 5 and 10 gallon tanks. Getting livestock and live rock direct from a diver in Hawaii. I feel the long distance phone call was as much as the overnight shipping.
The great part about him having a shop in his dads store was you could sit there and put together a whole system, tanks, plumbing and lighting and never leave to store.

OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitly could be Cyphastrea, Plesiastre Peroni, or Leptastrea. Im leaning towards Cyphastrea because it has been in the store for a long while and is never "open" or really changes too much. It does open a little so Ill try and grab a picture tonight after its been in the tank for some time.
But I thought hey its got a bright color to it so whats the harm haha.

Thanks for the help!

We’re do you live because that is my kind of hardware store haha.
Central Wisconsin has next to nothing for the hobby, this Ace and Petco are basically the options within 2 hours of me. Our Petco is actually decent but... ya know. I am very new to the hobby so its a struggle when the people that work at these places know even less. So I basically use the forums and youtube.

I started keeping salt water in college. At that time this guy had a mostly fish store in the basement of his dads Ace Hardware. We would buy cheap broken tanks from the distributor and go upstairs and cut new glass and silicone the new panels in. I think I had 9 or 11 tanks in my tiny college apartment, ranging from 20 to 55 gallons. On the smaller tanks I ran undergravel filters with powerheads on the bigger tanks we added homemade wet/dry filter systems that we made from broken 5 and 10 gallon tanks. Getting livestock and live rock direct from a diver in Hawaii. I feel the long distance phone call was as much as the overnight shipping.
The great part about him having a shop in his dads store was you could sit there and put together a whole system, tanks, plumbing and lighting and never leave to store.

That sounds awesome! The shop is an Ace Hardware and from what I understand all the Ace stores are seperatly owned. So mine just happens to have a large pet/fish section.....

Hmmm maybe I need to take over the fish section part time haha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back