What could clean up a huge amount of valonia overnight???

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night when I went to bed I had a substantial amount of valonia growing on one of the return lines from the sump. I'm talking 14 large clumps. I had planned to clean it off today. Went to remove the cover this morning and it was all gone. Right down to the black plastic. The only little bit that was left was on the end of the return and I cleaned that off. What the heck could do this though? I supposedly have two emerald crabs in the tank but I doubt they could make it up there as they'd have to climb vertically up the glass. The only other things in the tank are a cleanup crew of various types of snails.

Any thoughts?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The only fish are a firefish goby, a lawnmower blenny, an unknown sand sifting goby or blenny, and another unknown blenny. The only inverts are the two emerald crabs and a few hermit crabs.
That's a good mystery then, lol. I suppose the lawnmower could have eaten some. Did you find any of it in your filter?

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good mystery then, lol. I suppose the lawnmower could have eaten some. Did you find any of it in your filter?

That's the weird part. Not a bit of it is in the filter. I've cleaned filter socks and searched high and low throughout the tank. Nothing laying around anywhere. I'm stumped about it. Not going to complain, but would love to know what the heck did it lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back