What could have caused this?

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I posted with a battle with ich or something without positive ID (ich spots were seen on fish). The objective was to go hypo. I may have mentioned but I had a sump blenny (no idea how he got down there as the syphone has a strainer unless he jumped weirs, jumped in the trickle pvc piping. In any case, he was down there and I was in the process of installing a UV on the return later this week so I've been feeding the sump and he's been fine. I didn't want to have to remove return, pump for GFO etc. until I started with the UV sterlizer work. He was fine as of a day or two ago and I found him like this tonight. What could have caused this? There is nothing down there to eat at him, no hermits etc. This a natural decay or did his stomach area explode? Sorry the picture is grainy but it's night time with a flashlight and zoom.

#fishmedics

IMG-5281.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he go through a pump?
So it's a dual overflow system. Best guess is he went through the overflow weir with the syphon and trickle line. That feeds into drain area, to filter sock area, next chamber is skimmer, the bubble gateway area then return area where he's been residing. I tried to net him when I found him a few days ago but too much down there pump wise. There's the return pump and a small pump for a GFO reactor in that area. Not sure he could go through any of that. He's always had an odd, lumpy stomach region when in the DT but always ate etc. His saving grace as that the filter socks weren't allowing enough water through to drain adequately so it raised the water level in the sock chamber to the overflow above down to the skimmer chamber rather than water flowing below as intended.

My rationalization is if he'd have been hit by a pump, he'd likely still be on that pump if it removed that amount of his stomach area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So recently I posted with a battle with ich or something without positive ID (ich spots were seen on fish). The objective was to go hypo. I may have mentioned but I had a sump blenny (no idea how he got down there as the syphone has a strainer unless he jumped weirs, jumped in the trickle pvc piping. In any case, he was down there and I was in the process of installing a UV on the return later this week so I've been feeding the sump and he's been fine. I didn't want to have to remove return, pump for GFO etc. until I started with the UV sterlizer work. He was fine as of a day or two ago and I found him like this tonight. What could have caused this? There is nothing down there to eat at him, no hermits etc. This a natural decay or did his stomach area explode? Sorry the picture is grainy but it's night time with a flashlight and zoom.

#fishmedics

IMG-5281.jpg
Unfortunately it’s impossible to assess a dead carcass with missing parts and to help determine any possibilities, was fish eating up to time of discovery and breathing normal or labored?
What other fish in tank and what is tank ammonia-salinity- temperature levels?

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it’s impossible to assess a dead carcass with missing parts and to help determine any possibilities, was fish eating up to time of discovery and breathing normal or labored?
What other fish in tank and what is tank ammonia-salinity- temperature levels?
No worries - again, in the sump alone. Was eating prior to MIA then found in sump. As noted he had a very lump stomach area when in DT so I wasn't sure if there was any correlation, parasitic or not, to what seems like a missing stomach region in an environment that no scavengers inhabit.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries - again, in the sump alone. Was eating prior to MIA then found in sump. As noted he had a very lump stomach area when in DT so I wasn't sure if there was any correlation, parasitic or not, to what seems like a missing stomach region in an environment that no scavengers inhabit.

Are you sure there are no micro scavengers in the sump like amphipods or isopods? It is pretty typical for those to go after the soft stomach tissue of a dead fish first......

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back