What CUC will Help?

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 2 turbo snails to help ou with my hair algae in my 15-gallon column reef tank. The first day was great, but then I soon realized everything good comes with a price......SO MUCH POOP EVERYWHERE. I did my weekly water change yesterday and managed to get rid of some of the poop, but there is still a lot on the sand bed. I was thinking maybe a fighting conch for the sandbed or maybe hermits. Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any other suggestions for Clean up crew members to help out with my problem. Thanks!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 2 turbo snails to help ou with my hair algae in my 15-gallon column reef tank. The first day was great, but then I soon realized everything good comes with a price......SO MUCH POOP EVERYWHERE. I did my weekly water change yesterday and managed to get rid of some of the poop, but there is still a lot on the sand bed. I was thinking maybe a fighting conch for the sandbed or maybe hermits. Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any other suggestions for Clean up crew members to help out with my problem. Thanks!
The way I look at it is that the snails make it a lot easier to remove the nutrients causing the algea (siphoning out poop). If you did not have the snails, you would need to take rocks out and scrub to get rid of the hair algae. Now all you need is some tubing to siphon the turbo pellets out.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I look at it is that the snails make it a lot easier to remove the nutrients causing the algea (siphoning out poop). If you did not have the snails, you would need to take rocks out and scrub to get rid of the hair algae. Now all you need is some tubing to siphon the turbo pellets out.
I totally agree! I just was wondering if there is a cleanup crew member that I could add to lessen my siphoning load because of the detritus caused by the snails.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing that I notice that eats snail poo and spits out sand is a spaghetti worm. But I have not seen those for sale. I got mine in live rock.

Enerderek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of people prefer banded trochus snails over turbo but that's for its ability to flip itself over.. Not for the poop issue aha. They could be an alternative for you to try out.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a fighting conch work, or do they poop out a lot too? Also are the turbos pooping so much because I had just put them in and they cleaned all my rocks?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back