What diameter braided nylon tube to use with a 1" barb

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to plumb a sump with limited room (can't hard plumb all of it). I have a 1" barb I'm trying to connect with braided nylon tubing. Should I use a 1" braided tube or 3/4" tube? It's been a while since I plumbed a tank, but I recall using a smaller diameter tube, heating it and forcing it on the barb for a tighter fit. I did try to do this with a 3/4" braided tube but I really couldn't get it all the way on the barb.

So, is it OK to use a 1" braided tube (with a clamp) or will I have a potential issue with leaking? I guess I can always try a 3/4" nonbraided nylon tube (which I should be able to force onto the barb).

Any thoughts on the best route to go would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdp13

jdp13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to plumb a sump with limited room (can't hard plumb all of it). I have a 1" barb I'm trying to connect with braided nylon tubing. Should I use a 1" braided tube or 3/4" tube? It's been a while since I plumbed a tank, but I recall using a smaller diameter tube, heating it and forcing it on the bard for a tighter fit. I did try to do this with a 3/4" braided tube but I really couldn't get it all the way on the barb.

So, is it OK to use a 1" braided tube (with a clamp) or will I have a potential issue with leaking? I guess I can always try a 3/4" nonbraided nylon tube (which I should be able to force onto the barb).

Any thoughts on the best route to go would be appreciated.
IMG_6859.jpeg

This is what the 3/4” looks like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back