What do I need for a tank when on vacation?

WilliamH2529

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys in a few months my family is going on a 9 day vacation, I have a 13.5 gallon evo and was wondering what do I need to get for it while on vacation aside from a timer for lights and an automatic fish food feeder, with my freshwater tanks going on vacation for two weeks was always nothing even but it his newer tank does stress me a bit as saltwater seems a bit riskier

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to have is someone on hand who knows a return pump from a clownfish. Ideally, somebody knowledgable in saltwater or even freshwater should come by every few days to check on things and feed the fish. If that isn't possible, I'd suggest not making any changes to the tank before your trip and getting an auto feeder.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys in a few months my family is going on a 9 day vacation, I have a 13.5 gallon evo and was wondering what do I need to get for it while on vacation aside from a timer for lights and an automatic fish food feeder, with my freshwater tanks going on vacation for two weeks was always nothing even but it his newer tank does stress me a bit as saltwater seems a bit riskier
I would suggest you to go on holidays 3 weeks earlier.
Basically as you getting near the time pretend you on holiday, therefore you can’t touch your tank for 9 days set it all up as you would before you go and this will give you a idea of what will work and what won’t giving you some time to make changes before the actual test.
In addition if you feeding frozen now and will do the change to pellets wile away I would encourage you to do the change earlier to get your system used to the new nutrient changes.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make any changes a few days before. If you water change do it a couple days before not the day of. You want some time to double check all is well before leaving that means no sudden changes

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sitter, ideally.

Absent that, a wifi cam is great with some sort of ability to cut power either with a controller or some smart plugs. An auto feeder is nice too, but unless you have livestock that requires daily feeding, I'd skip this potential point of failure for anything less than a handful of days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back