What do people think of Inkbird temperature controllers?

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Inkbird mentioned in another thread as a decent inexpensive option for a temperature controller. I did a little bit of research and it seems these are generally inexpensive, multi-purpose controllers for aquaria, reptile keeping, and even brewing. The unit I'm looking at, as an example, is here: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Aquarium-Breeding/dp/B01DZ5NVBQ

I'm definitely interested in a lower-cost controller, as an Apex is not really an option for me right now due to the cost. But I'm really wondering if a controller at this price point is in fact an improvement over relying on the thermostat in my heater. Does anyone here have experience with using an Inkbird controller in an aquarium?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of them, but not on a main display. One in my salt barrel and one in a temp holding tank. They seem to work ok, except I don't believe the small probe that comes with them is really meant to be submersible / waterproof. I found a submersible stainless steel one, that is typically used by home beer brewers. Be aware that they are 12" long though. They just plug in to the regular probe receptacle on the controller. I replaced the one I have in my holding tank and so far, so good. The one in my water barrel may be going bad from the small probe. I will replace that one as well. That has been my experience with them anyway.

https://www.ink-bird.com/products-accessory-12in-Sensor.html

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two as well - as failsafes against Apex or heater malfunction. I think it’s a great way to add a safety factor to a stand-alone heater. Dial in the heater to the temp you like and then set the Inkbird 1-2 degrees higher. If the heater fails and tries to cook the tank the Inkbird will cut it off.
The Inkbird by itself with a ‘dumb’ heater I wouldn’t recommend - no safety factor and the temp swing it allows is pretty wide.

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea... then it takes a double failure to cause the dreaded "heater stuck on" condition.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea... then it takes a double failure to cause the dreaded "heater stuck on" condition.

I use one. It 308.

It does from time to time have a temp swing from the true tank temp. Once a month I have to adjust it by .02-.03 degrees. Not biggy.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a few months on my DT until I got an Apex, now I use it for the QT tank. It works great.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been using one for 10 months here to control my heaters. Work greats keeps temperature accurate!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a big fan and using them on multiple tanks for years however I just had one fail and my cooling fans stayed on to long and drop tank temp to 72 deg before I caught it.. now I’m nervous the other ones I have in service may fail.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running them on both tanks and in the salt barrel with zero issues.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They drift too much over time. Mine was 6 degrees off when I decided it was junk.........I got tired of having to re-adjust the temp calibration. I used it for about a year.

Rancos are only $20-25 more, don't drift and will last over 10 years if not more.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not reef related, but I use one at my off-grid cabin to turn a chest freezer into a refrigerator. Works great and really cuts down on the power draw on my solar system.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a short term solution. People are usually happy with them for a while, and then they start to get unreliable.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thing with inkbirds and similar items like it....Don’t trust those contacts. They work well if you use them to drive a contactor which carries your load. I use the small rectangular ones for brewing (without the plugs on them) and I have zero faith those contacts would hold up long term switching heating loads on and off. I bought one for my new aquarium build but I’ll be using it drive a contactor like i do with my heat trace for fermentation. For what they are, they are accurate and cheap control. I’ve verified the temp with my fluke temp meter and it was close enough that I didn’t mess with the offsets.

I’ve heard through friends in the brewing community here that a few of them have started smoking and getting really hot. I can’t personally verify this to be true, so take it for what you will.

If you don’t have access to a good contactor, I would stay away from those. Instead look at Johnson controls. They are 5x the price but ask yourself how good would that 100$ savings would feel after something went horribly wrong.

I use mine to drive Allen Bradley motor starters. Which my load passes through

Back