What do you clean your glass with?

Elevation

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I'm still a newb, and as we all know glass cleaning is a constant chore. Just curious as to what everyone uses to clean there glass? Anything that has been better than normal, what's the best material you have experienced? What spray of chemicals or natural oils do you guys use? Thanks everyone for yout time and looking forward to answers!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemicals no oils. I assume by this comment you mean the outside of the glass. I'll dampen a towel or paper towel with tap water and follow it with a dry towel.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze magnetic algae scraper in the tank. Outside the tank I use glass cleaner sprayed onto a microfiber towel.
The glass cleaner I use is supposed to be safe and the main ingredient is not supposed to be toxic to fish.... but I'm still careful not to spray the cleaner towards/near any tanks.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside glass I use RO/DI on a paper towel and then dry with paper towel. If you have outside glass staining then white vinegar can be used instead of RO/DI water. A trick I used to use at an LFS a long time ago was to use old news paper with water to clean the glass but I don't think many people get the paper anymore.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use water and microfiber towels. I bought these to use for my tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion - it depends. I think its possible that the concerns about 'glass cleaners' - is overblown (i.e. windex, etc) - Now If you have a 10 gallon tank - and spray windex all over the glass and some into the tank - you might have a problem. If you have a larger tank - and are careful - I think you can use a glass cleaner. Some people use vinegar and water - or the 'old' windex solution - which is 5% ammonia and water.

What I have do is either - 1. wipe the tank with wet paper towels - 2. turn the towels over and wipe with the other side. 3. Dry well with fresh paper towels - after allowing any remaining 'salt residue' to dry. - OR - spread windex on a paper towel - then wipe the tank with this - and then use clean paper towels to wipe up any residue

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion - it depends. I think its possible that the concerns about 'glass cleaners' - is overblown (i.e. windex, etc) - Now If you have a 10 gallon tank - and spray windex all over the glass and some into the tank - you might have a problem. If you have a larger tank - and are careful - I think you can use a glass cleaner. Some people use vinegar and water - or the 'old' windex solution - which is 5% ammonia and water.

What I have do is either - 1. wipe the tank with wet paper towels - 2. turn the towels over and wipe with the other side. 3. Dry well with fresh paper towels - after allowing any remaining 'salt residue' to dry. - OR - spread windex on a paper towel - then wipe the tank with this - and then use clean paper towels to wipe up any residue
Agreed. I used to use windex with no problem. I was just always careful to spray downward (and I had a wood canopy that helped to ensure no cleaner could get into the tank). I now use water only (my tank is rimless and I haven't had any situation that really seemed like anything stronger would be needed), but I wouldn't say it's bad to use other cleaners if you're careful.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back