What do you do when....

What do you do when you want a new tank and can’t have one?

• Buy a new fish for your current tank.

Votes: 24 4.6%
  • Buy a new piece of equipment for your current tank.

Votes: 78 14.9%
  • Go shopping knowing you can’t have one.

Votes: 43 8.2%
  • Buy one anyway.

Votes: 104 19.8%
  • Dream about what it will look like when you finally get to do it.

Votes: 332 63.4%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat, I really badly want a 75 to upgrade to from my 40, but the wife says I can't buy another tank :( Now if I were to stumble upon one for free, that'd be a different story ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I particularly enjoy the design process. Buy yourself a 11x18 pad of graph paper and design/doodle. I did that for a year before my prior tank ..... came up with some clever ideas and avoided a few pitfalls. I'm already designing my next tank, even if it never comes to pass.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done all of the above. One of the lfs in my area has a used 200 with cabinet, hood, and plumbing. It’s a “make an offer” thing. Maybe I’ll make an offer and put it in the garage until hubby is tired of looking at it there. :)

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about the cost. Even if I got the tank for free, the cost of bigger pump, sump, overflow, time for making RODI and cost of the salt just to fill it, cycling it, how to move my fish around, it all makes me happy with my 75 gallon tank.
Yea.... but just think what you could do with that much more aquatic real estate! Oh, the things I could have!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't buy a new tank...the 29 gallon is as big as I can fit in my current space. I could/may redesign the fuge island tank, that could be a frag tank, FOWLR, but that would probably impact the DT reef.

I'm into upgrading the "back of the house", a dosing system and WC station. I would like to redesign my sump and change the flow through the fuge area. I wanted to put a bigger sump in the basement, but my biggest hurtle is getting piping down around the original sill of my 118 year old house. My current sump just happens to sit right where two beams come together.

Todd L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat, I really badly want a 75 to upgrade to from my 40, but the wife says I can't buy another tank :( Now if I were to stumble upon one for free, that'd be a different story ;)
Same! we are currently in a small apt. and I have a 30 Fo. I just ordered an Led fixture the other day to start playing with corals, but me wife won't let me go for a bigger tank till we move (will be here another year). It is killing me to see large tanks go for cheap on craigslist.

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @ca1ore, I really like the design process. When I had my 40b I had the itch to get a larger tank, but we were about to sell the house at the end of the year and knew that it wasn't the right time to make the move to a larger tank. I still had the itch though. What I did was put all my live stock and corals in a friends tank who I trusted and started the 40b build from new. I never loved what I had done to the tank and knew there were things that I would love to change. I tore the tank down, gave it a thorough cleaning, made some minor repairs to the stand. After that was done I plumbed the tank the way that it should have been done the first time, took my time and built a scape that I loved, and put in new sand that I liked better than the old sand. I bought a new skimmer and lights. I bought both with the upgrade in mind so that I could use them on the new build. When I was done I couldn't have been happier with the "new" tank and the itch was scratched for a while until I built my new tank. Just my experience that worked for me. Good luck, I know how bad that itch can get.

Todd L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @ca1ore, I really like the design process. When I had my 40b I had the itch to get a larger tank, but we were about to sell the house at the end of the year and knew that it wasn't the right time to make the move to a larger tank. I still had the itch though. What I did was put all my live stock and corals in a friends tank who I trusted and started the 40b build from new. I never loved what I had done to the tank and knew there were things that I would love to change. I tore the tank down, gave it a thorough cleaning, made some minor repairs to the stand. After that was done I plumbed the tank the way that it should have been done the first time, took my time and built a scape that I loved, and put in new sand that I liked better than the old sand. I bought a new skimmer and lights. I bought both with the upgrade in mind so that I could use them on the new build. When I was done I couldn't have been happier with the "new" tank and the itch was scratched for a while until I built my new tank. Just my experience that worked for me. Good luck, I know how bad that itch can get.

Thats a great idea. one of my biggest annoyances is the tank itself. It is an old 28 probably one from walmart that I have had forever. I used it because I started out just "playing" with saltwater. Currently I have an LED in the mail. Before even unboxing it I may measure the dresser the tank currently is on (solid wood) and see if a 40B would fit. (I personally like the dimensions more than the 28) I guess I too could tear down the tank and re-scape in the 40 and from there start corals.

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great idea. one of my biggest annoyances is the tank itself. It is an old 28 probably one from walmart that I have had forever. I used it because I started out just "playing" with saltwater. Currently I have an LED in the mail. Before even unboxing it I may measure the dresser the tank currently is on (solid wood) and see if a 40B would fit. (I personally like the dimensions more than the 28) I guess I too could tear down the tank and re-scape in the 40 and from there start corals.

For sure man. Find a size that you like and have fun. The way I look at it is, I can always use some practice plumbing and I learn something new each time I try something different. In my opinion you don't always have to have a bunch of money in everything you do in the hobby. You can learn alot from a $20 craigslist tank, some new PVC, some time (and of course the people on this fourm to help you along the way). In doing this you have focused your time on something positive until you get to start that upgraded build everyone wants.

Todd L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure man. Find a size that you like and have fun. The way I look at it is, I can always use some practice plumbing and I learn something new each time I try something different. In my opinion you don't always have to have a bunch of money in everything you do in the hobby. You can learn alot from a $20 craigslist tank, some new PVC, some time (and of course the people on this fourm to help you along the way). In doing this you have focused your time on something positive until you get to start that upgraded build everyone wants.
Sadly I can't fit the 40B in the current tank position and don't have any other space for a tank:(. From here I believe I will just tear down the tank and re-scape and play with soft corals till we move.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done all of those except buy one anyway. I like Ca1ore's idea of planning the bigger tank. Even if it doesn't happen it's a fun exercise!

I would add one that's not on the list....buy a pico/nano tank. They can be a challenge and a lot of fun. I have fallen in love with my panamic barnacle blenny in my 10 gallon IM Fusion. Very entertaining.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife as been evicting me from the living room for 6 months now and Im using that as a excuse to get a 100g to move everything into;)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep looking at Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and join every FB group on reefing near you.

Someone by me was giving away a 90g reef ready with stand last week. It was taken in about 5min.

Deals are out there!! Keep looking!!

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I converted my 55 gallon tank from fresh water to saltwater a few years ago, people told me that I'd eventually want a bigger tank. I said "No Way!" I was happy with the smaller size which made maintenance fairly manageable, and kept the cost down. Fast forward 3 years, and.......I want a bigger tank!!! [emoji12] Well, it's our 10 year wedding anniversary this October, and I'm upgrading my wife's rings, which isn't cheap. When we paid for the upgrades, my wife was feeling guilty, and I told her......don't feel bad....in a couple years, I'd like to buy a Red Sea Reefer 425 XL or 525 XL. She was good with it because it made her feel less guilty about spending money on her rings. Muah ha ha ha! I love it when a plan comes together! [emoji16]

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always doing the tank I want to do. I'm never done with my current tank until I am completely done and drooling over it.

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a strange situation right now that I'm not sure if its better or worse. I just bought a custom 225 Gallon tank setup from @Mark a couple of weeks ago. I got it moved to my basement, but I have to wait till we get our basement finished before I can set it up(in the process of getting contractor quotes now). Its sitting in the middle of the room, so all I can do is go downstairs every night and walk circles around it and day dream about what the tank will look like when its setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back