What do you feed a lawnmower blenny in Quarantine?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lawnmower blenny in QT 6 days now. I’ve tried giving him both pellets and frozen mysis. He’s not pleased with either. What should I give him?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a new lawnmower to eat as well.. I've not seen him eat any frozen food but I've seen him grazing some rocks but not enough for a meal. I have a nice piece of nori rubber banned to a rock but he doesn't seem interested. Following along for druther ideas

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a nori clip in the tank. I have 5 blennies, and they all eat nori. A couple will eat assorted food but not all of them. I have clips, but I prefer to rubber band it to a rock.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you actually see them picking tho?
Quite a bit, I mean when he's not sitting at the front of the tank watching me and begging for Mysis. He's quite fond of frozen foods. The one I have right now is in a tank where I'm battling GHA he shows no interest. I didn't get him for the GHA though I just think they have awesome personalities.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had blennys (lawnmower and starry) that go after nori but LOVE mysis or brine shrimp. They’re definitely not 100% herbivores.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a bit, I mean when he's not sitting at the front of the tank watching me and begging for Mysis. He's quite fond of frozen foods. The one I have right now is in a tank where I'm battling GHA he shows no interest. I didn't get him for the GHA though I just think they have awesome personalities.
I have mine in a bare bottom frag tank which has films on rocks and glass. I have nori clipped which he hasn't touched at all. I don't wanna lose him to not eating. He hasn't gone after my frozen food mix which includes mysis. I may have to get a packet of mysis to specifically feed him. I love their personality and refuse to lose him !

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a bare bottom frag tank which has films on rocks and glass. I have nori clipped which he hasn't touched at all. I don't wanna lose him to not eating. He hasn't gone after my frozen food mix which includes mysis. I may have to get a packet of mysis to specifically feed him. I love their personality and refuse to lose him !

My personal opinion is they can't survive on film algae from the rocks and glass alone. Mine have all gone after the Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp and the Hikari Mysis shrimp. How long has it been in QT?

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a 30 day copper treatment on a batch of fish one of which was a lawnmower blenny. I rubber banded a sheet of nori to a PVC bushing and the blenny both ate the nori as well as made the PVC bushing his home! Most blennies i have QT'd have been sort of shy. I usually watch them from afar to make sure they are eating. I got smart and added a camera so I could observe them throughout the day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back