What do you guys do to catch fish?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 90 gallon used tank and it came with some fish I don’t want. What are your tricks to catching them? Do you get them right when you turn the lights on? Do you use a trap? I need suggestions as I’m going to sell one soon!!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that have worked for me are a diy fish trap or emptying 90% of the water, removing all rocks, and netting it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things that have worked for me are a diy fish trap or emptying 90% of the water, removing all rocks, and netting it.

Yep, this is the only way I've been able to catch them.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed fish trap is best less stress on our friends.
16031657152052578174571635514375.jpg

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a plexi trap to catch a grouper a few yrs back. Even with the trap it was tough. How it was designed I needed to pull a fishing line to drop a door. I baited it with shrimp, if I were near the glass he wouldn't go for the shrimp. I actually had to duck out of way to trap him.

Put him in a 5gal bucket to take to the lfs next day, woke up and he was dead. I was a newb and didn't realize I needed to prob put an airstone in there to move the water around.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a plexi trap to catch a grouper a few yrs back. Even with the trap it was tough. How it was designed I needed to pull a fishing line to drop a door. I baited it with shrimp, if I were near the glass he wouldn't go for the shrimp. I actually had to duck out of way to trap him.

Put him in a 5gal bucket to take to the lfs next day, woke up and he was dead. I was a newb and didn't realize I needed to prob put an airstone in there to move the water around.
smarter than you or than u thought huh. LOL have had the same problems just sat there and stared at me like you must be stupid im not going in there. It works best to leave in therr for a few days and have a feed hole on top that you can feed threw and get them use to it so they don't see it as a big scary monster. But v a food source.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I made something similar to catch a yellow tang.
Screenshot_20201020-083638.png
Screenshot_20201020-083629.png
the yellow tang never went for it :oops:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple fish nets (leave one in place and chase the fish in question into it with other nets or your hand), fish traps (with and without mirrors), floating fish trap, " bubble"fish trap, fish hooks (#18 - #28), plastic cup and remove the rock a fish hides in. Been tempted to use a shotgun a few times.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you’re trying to catch. I always take them out in the middle of the night and catch them by surprise.

Tangs at night are often disoriented if you shine a light in the tank and can easily pluck them out with a net.

Wrasses are just as easy. Leopards can be scooped up in the sand as they sleep. Fairy’s can be taken out by removing the rock they sleep in.

So it largely depends on what type of fish you’re trying to remove and learning where they sleep to figure out your best approach.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back