What do you keep on hand?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what everyone makes sure they have on hand at all times in the reefing hobby. i.e. Salt, already mixed saltwater, rodi water, medicine, etc.

I personally don't have the space or I would store tons of RODI water; for cleaning, etc. :) I'm new here and would love to hear your thoughts!

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool question! I dont have a lot of room either - but i keep x2 5 gallon jugs of salt at all time (1 for water change and 1 for emergency) and keep my ATO reservoir topped with another 5 gallon jug. Thats for the week - then fill up both from LFS on weekends. Other than that not much has changed on my tank for awhile. Oh oh and tons of filter floss sheets from inTank!

Upvote 0

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what everyone makes sure they have on hand at all times in the reefing hobby. i.e. Salt, already mixed saltwater, rodi water, medicine, etc.

I personally don't have the space or I would store tons of RODI water; for cleaning, etc. :) I'm new here and would love to hear your thoughts!
I store 88 gallons of RODI (2 x 44 gal Brutes) so I am ready to mix salt when needed.
Salt
Copper Power, Copper test kit, and QT tank just in case
If you're only running one heater. It would be wise to have another one just in case of failure
Filter Socks (If you are using them)

Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have enough salt and two identically sized brute trash cans for water changes/making an emergency QT system, a large enough net to catch fish, activated carbon to remove anything bad that found it's way into the system and a battery powered air pump with airstone + requisite (extra) hoses with ball valve just in case I have a power outage or just need some tubing and a valve to drip acclimate something.

Upvote 0

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep RO on hand, meds that I needed at one point but didn't use completely: paraguard, copper, ich-x, green (or is it red) slime remover and the like. I have water treatments, I think it's just stress coat at this point. test kits with a backup reagents. dosing chemicals, alk and calc mostly. there might be mag in there too, but I doubt that. I have extra filters that have been grown out of, tanks as well. Polyester "filter media" (pillow stuffing, was a lot cheaper).

Upvote 0

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have 4 or more buckets of salt on hand. I also have have three 44 gallon brute tubs . One for Ro/di water and two for freshly made saltwater. I have 4 tanks and my seahorses fry setup. When I am raising fry I go though a bucket of salt a week for the first few months.
I also keep plenty of nori and frozen foods. I keep extra MH bulbs and T5 bulbs on hand.

Upvote 0

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i try to keep water on hand. i have salt on hand, phyto, frozen food, rodi in a spray bottle with a towel. drill w/ wire brush to clean my rocks, algae magnet to clean glass periodically. i dont worry much about medicine cause i am not adding anything new to my tank & i havent added anything in months so i doubt my fish will ever get sick.

Upvote 0

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord this is a loaded question. Obviously keeping rodi and salt on hand, A small weapons cache of meds, backup alk and calc supplements, enough kalkwasser to kill all the aiptasia in gulf. Enough pellets to feed a small dog. And a sushi restaurant load of nori. No biggie.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 5 different types of food. Cipro. Alk, cal, mag reagents, salt, spare heater.

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a ton of stuff around. Pretty much anything that if I do need it is probably right away (meds, heaters, etc) or stuff that I use a lot of so always have a ton stocked up (fragplugs, razor blades, etc)

All the basics (water, salt, chemicals, etc).
Meds/pest control (Cipro, Amoxicillin, copper, Praziquentel, Flatworm Exit, etc)
Spare heaters, pumps
Razor blades, brushes, frag plugs, glue, etc

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back