What do you like to keep your tank at?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for levels on your Calcium, Alkalinity, PH, Salinity, and temperature. I am curious what everyone is keeping them at. Thanks.

Eric

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca 450
ALK 3.5 meg
PH 8-8.2
Salinity 1.026
Temp 80-82
Also I keep my Mag at 1500

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk has been running around 11 but my calcium is steady at 400. Does that seem right?

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't get any better than NSW levels!!

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Stability is important especially with alk and sg. The chart in that link shows some flex within the margins of acceptable readings but fluctuations in alk and sg can be very detrimental to SPS once you hit a low nutrient level. If you have high nutrient levels, the fluctuations don't seem as detrimental as when you hit a very low nutrient level. Also, once you hit a low nutrient level you'll want to pick an alk target between 6.5-8.0 dkh and limit fluctuation as much as possible. Alk levels above 8 dkh and below 6.5 dkh will cause necrosis quite fast in SPS that are kept in a very low nutrient environment.

If you plan to use bacterial proliferation as a means of nutrient management (vodka, vinegar, or sugar dosing, prodibio, zeo, etc...) you will also want to monitor your potassium levels. Massive bacterial reproduction will decrease your tanks K+ fast and deficient K+ levels can be detrimental to coral health.

Jeremy

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back