What do you put between the stand and floor?

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building my stand out of wood for my 380gal tank and I have uneven tile flooring on concrete slab.
I'm not worried about making the stand level as with size and stand design of it won't be a problem.
What I want to know is do you guys put anything between the floor and the stand and what do you use?

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a bunch of breakable shims. I have a 120g with 50g sump. Its not as heavy as yours but make contact as much as you can.

Hoping others may have a bit more experience with tile. There may be some lessons learned.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a bunch of breakable shims. I have a 120g with 50g sump. Its not as heavy as yours but make contact as much as you can.

Hoping others may have a bit more experience with tile. There may be some lessons learned.
Im also curious about tile. Im gonna be putting a 200gal system in my basement after remodeling it and it will be tile. Kinda concerned that much weight on tile will crack it.

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be disgruntled that the builders of my house made it unlevel. I'd be having the level of the house fixed first. Had to do this with our rental property in VA. Not the cheapest thing but can save headache in the long run.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i HAVE MY BIG TANK ON A 4' x 10' ONE INCH THICK TREATED PLYWOOD

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also curious about tile. Im gonna be putting a 200gal system in my basement after remodeling it and it will be tile. Kinda concerned that much weight on tile will crack it.
It won't if you spread the weight out.
Vetteguys 1" pt underlayment works.
Depends on the stand. If diy, make sure the weight is distributed, and not just at the corners
Or don't tile where the aquarium will sit.

OP
OP
ilawis

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I think I've miss written about the uneven tile is the texture not the overall level (see picture) I do like the idea of a sheet of marine ply but I'm thinking something under that to prevent moisture creep from concrete slab into the wood?
2020-09-1810.37.223312477967210977777.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ilawis I have a similar textured tile. The bottom of my cabinet has a plywood bottom (sealed) and I used plastic shims to level the stand / tank. The tile and grout are already sealed, and I’m quick to wipe up any water that gets on the floor. When I do water changes or messier things I lay down a couple of towels as a precaution.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tile is not down yet I would tile around it. Just get enough extra tiles to fill in if you get rid of the tank.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tile is not down yet I would tile around it. Just get enough extra tiles to fill in if you get rid of the tank.
Just curious about this. I’ve seen others suggest this too — don’t put tiles down if you can avoid it, just tile around it. What’s the reason for this?

Wouldn’t water spilling or seeping into the subfloor / underpayment be worse?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious about this. I’ve seen others suggest this too — don’t put tiles down if you can avoid it, just tile around it. What’s the reason for this?

Wouldn’t water spilling or seeping into the subfloor / underpayment be worse?
Seal the edge of your stand where it meets the tiles with a little bead of clear silicone if your worried about it.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7ft long 210 on an uneven floor. To make matters worse the floor somewhat shifts/sinks depending on if it's winter or summer. I watched a video from Tidal Gardens and he uses adjustable leveling casters on all his tanks. I added them to my 210 and it worked out good.
MVIMG_20200919_162344.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back