What do you think about inexpensive Salinity Refractometers?

Thoms_here

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2015
Messages
85
Reaction score
40
Location
Greers Ferry Lake, Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was wondering what you thought about the inexpensive (usually "ATO" branded) salinity refractometers as far as accuracy, do they last very long, etc.

I have a feeling at $19 shipped with a case, they're pretty popular!

Thanks!
 
No problem at all as long as you use the correct calibration solution (NOT RO/DI water).

Certainly better than a swing hydrometer!
 
I've liked my ATO refractometer (from amazon with hard case). Use it on a weekly basis for the last couple years and has need very little to no adjustment since the first calibration. I check it with solution every couple months. Only issue I've had is the steel rod connecting the plastic top slide to the refrac rusted a bit. Quick clean with vinegar and good as new.
 
I use the cheap ATO as well. Haven't had any issues with it. My youngest got a hold of it and dropped it (not in case) used the cal solution and it's was still dead on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new