What do you use to level your tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MrDJeep123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
Messages
1,937
Reaction score
480
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in an older house and it certainly has its quircks. The least of which is sloping floors. Mind you not so much that I feel like I'm mountain cllimbing, but it's hard to find a level place in the house. In fact, I don't think there is one. I starting thinking and wondering, and I'm sure, if others have the issue and what you have done to level your tank.
I use wood shims and a few pieces of block to level things out. My stand has feet, so I can't see the blocks. I also have a big ol' fat history book supporting the middle where the sump sits. Unorthodox for sure. We may buy the house, and part of the buying process will be asking the owner to fix the foundation. However, that's a subject for another day I s'pose.
 
I know people have used styrofoam.
 
Wooden or composite shims under the load bearing points. My son used to live in an older mobile home and his was so bad I ripped a 6' 2x4 into a taper that started at 1.5" and tapered down to nothing at the other end. Worked good since it supported the entire length not just spots.
 
Yea, the styrofoam does quite well, it evenly distributes the load.
108891d1362034629-aquarium-stand-surface-not-level-2013-02-28-00.48.28.jpg

foam-on-tank-stand.jpg
 
It depend how heavy this thing is ,level tank will last longer less stress on the seems. Build another understand platform make it solid as it can be to fit the floor level then place the tank on top of it you need to check level from side to side front to back and cross corner to corner
 
level the stand with shimms, any rigid styrofoam will work between tank and stand
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new